hi friends

i have been trying to uninstall sp2 from windows server 2003.
i read that it require to start system in safe mode, and later i can uninstall sp2 from control panel, but it was not visible there.
can anybody guide??

thanx in advance...

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

When you run "appwiz.cpl" (Add and Remove Programs) have you got the check box "show updates" ticked?

You could do an "msiexec /x {classid}" but that would involve finding the Class Id from the registry (eek :o ).

Did you have an .exe for the installer, does it allow an uninstall? (Maybe from cmd line with /? parameters).

In Windows Server 2003 SP2, the "Remove" button for the service pack is available in the "Add or Remove Programs" item in Control Panel

Some times "Remove" button for the service pack is not available in the "Add or Remove Programs".This problem occurs if the previous service pack was installed by using the SETUP /n command. For example, this problem may occur if Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1 (SP1) was installed by using this command.

Note The /n switch installs the service pack without creating a backup folder. You must have this backup folder to remove the service pack by using the Add or Remove Programs item in Control Panel. We recommend that you always create a backup folder when you install a service pack.

To work around this problem, remove the service pack by running the Spuninst.exe utility. The Spuninst.exe utility is located in the following folder:
%SystemRoot%\$NTServicepackUninstall$

hye francis

it really helps, but i was not able to remove the service pack completely. it just helped me to install the specific pack i was trying to install

thanx anyways, my issue has been resolved

thanx for ur gr8 help.

cheers...

In Windows Server 2003 SP2, the "Remove" button for the service pack is available in the "Add or Remove Programs" item in Control Panel

Some times "Remove" button for the service pack is not available in the "Add or Remove Programs".This problem occurs if the previous service pack was installed by using the SETUP /n command. For example, this problem may occur if Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1 (SP1) was installed by using this command.

Note The /n switch installs the service pack without creating a backup folder. You must have this backup folder to remove the service pack by using the Add or Remove Programs item in Control Panel. We recommend that you always create a backup folder when you install a service pack.

To work around this problem, remove the service pack by running the Spuninst.exe utility. The Spuninst.exe utility is located in the following folder:
%SystemRoot%\$NTServicepackUninstall$

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.