I have a 40 gig drive on my Toshiba Satellite with XP SP3 installed. It comes up as only 37 gigs so 3 gigs are in the void there but I'm not worried about that because I realize that when they say 40 they mean "almost 40". What I am pissed about is the other 6 gigs that are unaccounted for after I add up the totals from my used and free space. It doesn't add up. I had this problem a long time ago and I forget how I fixed so maybe I never did. 6 gigs is really nothing but until I get a new 320 gigger or more which I can't afford right now, 6 gigs is alot considering what the hell could be taking up 6 gigs that I can't even see? Is Microsoft the culprit? I know there were hidden .dat files in earlier xp releases but I used to be able to remove them but this time I don't know WHAT it is - ?

Contributors
Replies
Views
8 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by caperjack

Hi
Also make go to Device Manager and check if you have any unallocated space witch isnt formatted yet.

Hi
Also make go to Device Manager and check if you have any unallocated space witch isnt formatted yet.

Could possibly be the problem. A lot of people I've talked to that have had this problem, this was what was wrong.

could be disk cache/buffer
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disk_buffer

It's GOTTA be that. I'm gonna check that out - thanks. Yeah, I added the unallocated space and every single folder and file on the drive and it comes out to 6 gigs less than the reported used space. I hate that!

It wasn't the disk cache/buffer. I read the link but that would account for only 32 mb max. Something is taking up 6 gigs that is not visible and I have "hide files" in folder options unchecked. This is crazy.

May be there is some temporary files, list of folders that may contain temp files:
1. C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\Local Settings\Temp
2. C:\Windows\Temp
3. C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files
4. C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\Recent\
If these folders are hidden and you can't see then type addresses to address bar

May be there is some temporary files, list of folders that may contain temp files:
1. C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\Local Settings\Temp
2. C:\Windows\Temp
3. C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files
4. C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\Recent\
If these folders are hidden and you can't see then type addresses to address bar

the cleaner i posted in my first post will empty all temp folders

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.