Ok I am here cramming as much knowledge before this big job interview as I possibly can. Here is what I am trying to peice together most.

Ok, so Ive studied HAL's, and more in regards to creating an image.
Here is what the job is needing. Someone to create an image file for reproduction for other machines.

So Ive been studying SYSPREP which is one main preffered skill for this job. Here is my question.

Ok... so say you got a computer, XP OS on it bare bones.
Here is what I am tyring to understand please fill me in.
So you take this program called sysprep, throw it in the c:\ directory which also contains windows so you would now have c:\sysprep
and in the sysprep directory you have the hear and core sysprep.inf files. Ok so I got all that. Here's what I am not getting.

In psuedo I would think in steps.
1. Install OS 2. Install Sysprep 3. Configure admin account for best use 4. Create template account for testing. 5. Make system changes under template account, then copy over the settings file to a folder. 6. Delete template profile & Go in registry delete all refferences to the template account 7. Copy over after testing the template accounts setting files to "default users" profile .

SOOOOO now we got the system we want to copy. here is where Im not grabbing the whole thing.
Ok now with the OS I want to make an image from. I assume I run sysprep ??? What does it do? copy all the systems settings into some template? and after the machine reboots does it write those settings back out??? I'm not understanding quite what sysprep actually does!

Then you ghost over the image (saying your going to use ghost) for distrobution.

Could someone please provide an answer on how sysprep is used and what for. You guys are always wonder's and full of knowledge. This is why I come to only Daniweb.

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Ok I am here cramming as much knowledge before this big job interview as I possibly can. Here is what I am trying to peice together most.

Ok, so Ive studied HAL's, and more in regards to creating an image.
Here is what the job is needing. Someone to create an image file for reproduction for other machines.

So Ive been studying SYSPREP which is one main preffered skill for this job. Here is my question.

Ok... so say you got a computer, XP OS on it bare bones.
Here is what I am tyring to understand please fill me in.
So you take this program called sysprep, throw it in the c:\ directory which also contains windows so you would now have c:\sysprep
and in the sysprep directory you have the hear and core sysprep.inf files. Ok so I got all that. Here's what I am not getting.

In psuedo I would think in steps.
1. Install OS 2. Install Sysprep 3. Configure admin account for best use 4. Create template account for testing. 5. Make system changes under template account, then copy over the settings file to a folder. 6. Delete template profile & Go in registry delete all refferences to the template account 7. Copy over after testing the template accounts setting files to "default users" profile .

SOOOOO now we got the system we want to copy. here is where Im not grabbing the whole thing.
Ok now with the OS I want to make an image from. I assume I run sysprep ??? What does it do? copy all the systems settings into some template? and after the machine reboots does it write those settings back out??? I'm not understanding quite what sysprep actually does!

Then you ghost over the image (saying your going to use ghost) for distrobution.

Could someone please provide an answer on how sysprep is used and what for. You guys are always wonder's and full of knowledge. This is why I come to only Daniweb.

Found it on my own.

good for you,i mean that,when you get the job you will be expended to do it on your own as well ,good luck with the interview

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.