I tried to do the right thing today by backing up all my pictures onto a CD. I opened my pictures file and click "copy all files to cd" and the "temporary files were sent to be copied. An error occured while trying to burn them and they were not copied. Instead of being constantly reminded that I had "files waiting to be copied", I deleted the temporary files and then deleted them from the recylcling bin. Now when I go into the harddrive to open the photo files, they will not open. The size of the files, and names are all there. But that is all as of now. Please help.

Recommended Answers

All 13 Replies

Have you tried restarting the computer, it sounds like those particular photo files maybe locked in a process running in the background on your computer. If that's the case they likely wont be able to be opened until you restart, if you still cannot open the photo files after you restart something could have happened to them, please post back with further details.

Have you tried restarting the computer, it sounds like those particular photo files maybe locked in a process running in the background on your computer. If that's the case they likely wont be able to be opened until you restart, if you still cannot open the photo files after you restart something could have happened to them, please post back with further details.

Thanks but yes I have restarted the computer to no avail. Seem now that I remember getting a pop up screen after selecting the files to be copied. Before the computer generated these temporary files to be copied I got a pop up screen saying something about wanting to continue dispite something. The only reason I did continue is because the last line of the pop up message said something to the effect of "the original file will not be changed." Of course I figured that if it doesn't work, at least the hard drive file won't change. So after restarting there has been no change. The files are still there as far as I can tell. Placing the cursor over the file brings up the file size and all the names are still there.

Hi There

Try right clicking on the file names and check the properties and see if you can get them opened by playing around with the properties.

See if that works.

Regards
Raj

I will try that too....any other posibilities while I am messing around ?

Do a system restore.Pick a point before the problem started.

Do a system restore.Pick a point before the problem started.

I did a system restore back to date prior to the date of the problem, and it did not allow me to open the photos.

check this program out.I am using it and it works great. Joe http://www.majorgeeks.com/download3155.html When you get this go to my computer and double click C.Then double click program files.Find HiJack This and double click to open.Right click the icon and click {send shortcut to desktop}.Open and click scan only then click Config.Click to check -mark everything-box.click back and run scan then run fix.Then always run Reg-Cure after running HiJack This. If this does not work restore CP back to original.

So the geek squad came out and told me that the files were corrupt but they may be able to be recovered. He suggested I look for a program online or their company could take care of it for $200. I found a program called media recover. Any thoughts on that program or perhaps another. Files are Jpeg if that makes a difference. Thanks again

try this free program from the makers of ccleaner ,it will recover file deleted from recycle bin.
http://www.recuva.com/

But i think the problem is not that he has deleted the files. He has got the files and the size also shows on the files when its scrolled upon but just having trouble opening them. He just deleted the temporary files that were ready to be written to the CD. I m sure that was his problem.

Regards
Raj

Yes I have the files but I did just delete the temporary files that were to be written to the cd. And best guess is that somehow that corrupted the original files to some degree. So now I am looking for one of those recorvery programs. I listed a program I found at www.mediarecover.com and was looking for feedback.

try the one i listed its free and if it doesn't work ,it won't cost you then you can buy the other maybe ,i have never used it ,i do not buy software ,i just use freeware

I will try that as well. The program I paid for did recover some of the photos. I also went into a program called "Project manager" on my computer. This program is from Nikon, and came with my digital camera. This program still shows the files of the photos I had uploaded into it. In it I see previews of photos that are supposedly corrupt. However, I am not able to double click and enlarge them. When I do so, I am told the file is deleted. Why then can I see a perfectly good small scale preview and what can I do ?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.