My question is, what is considered high physical memory use. I have an HP laptopo with AMD turion 64x2 and 4 gigs of ram.My operating system is VISTA Home Preimum and when I look at Resource overview, it show that I am using 69% of the physicla memory. Is this good or bad?

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

It depends on what programs you are running and what is taking up your RAM. Vista definitely isn't using more than a gig, so I would say it is probably bad. But like I said. . it depends what you are running.

I just checked mine - 69%. Coincidence, I'm sure - also 4GB system.

Anyway, it's not 100% usage - so that's OK. Vista uses spare RAM as a cache, but that's not in the 69%. I unloaded Acrobat 9 - it went down to 63%. I unloaded Outlook 2007, it fell to 54%. I unloaded Word 2007, it dropped to 51%. I unloaded IE8 and it fell to 48%.

What's left is Vista, McAfee, the 512MB Video RAM, the various device drivers and buffer RAM.

So, I think your system's performing adequately.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.