Hi all

I have had this problem for months now and I just can't seem to fix it. I have posted to a couple of other forums but they have been of no help.
I am running xp professional, sp2, IE6 and Mozilla Firefox, adaware, AVG, Spyware doctor.

I receive the following message when I go to about half of the webpages I try and look at. "Cannot find server or DNS Error" THe same pages don't work through Firefox but it doesn't give that error.

Some webpages will give me that error message one day and then work the next time I log on. There doesn't seem to be any pattern to when or for what pages the error will appear. Some webpages Eg: google always work, others eg: metallica.com only work sometimes.

My system appears to be clean of viruses and spyware.

Is anyone about to help? Thanks in advance.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

When a site doesnt work, go to the command prompt and ping the site using the URL. If it doesnt work, ping the site's IP. If it works, then it's really a DNS problem. Check if you have entered any DNS-Servers in your LAN-connection.

Michael

Thanks for your help.

I have no DNS servers are entered in my LAN connections.

When I ping the sites that aren't working by URL and IP I get the same message... eg - the one below.

C:\>ping yahoo.com

Pinging yahoo.com [216.115.108.243] with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 216.115.108.243:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.