Hi, treat me with kid gloves please - very un-tech so please keep it basic if poss!
Found a similar thread thru' a search. My problems:

After SP2 I have these infuriating problems:

1) Google - a regular search just chucks back a load of binary looking code as a "result", either that or or 'Cannot find server". About 10% of time I get a real result.

2) IE runs very slow now. A real pain as for my work I'm on a good 12 hours a day plus.
Very often web pages give me a corrupt result, showing bits of code, or a jumbled up version of what should be there OR I just get 'Cannot find server'.

3) Unable to download anything! I figured out the way round the SP2 security blocks for people sending me zips but Windows updates, Mozilla, etc I just get a download progress box that shows me the "flying file" graphic but never progresses.

4) (Yes, there's more - prob. unrelated). I have damn annoying adware that pops up at midnight. Symantec finds it - tells me its there but gives me no option to delete it! Surely there has to be a way to wipe this stuff??

On XP Pro, ADSL
Thanks in advance.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

This problem could occur because of Spyware , go on over to the Security section of this fourm and post you problem along with a hijackthis log .
Spyware & Trojans and Other Nasties
Please Don't post the hijackthis log in this section Thanks .

Please do this.
Download 'Hijack This!'. HijackThis
Save it in a convenient permanent folder such as C:\HJT\, double click HijackThis.exe, and hit "Scan".

Or HERE if that link fails to work or you don't have a zip program installed .

Your copy of HijackThis needs to be in a folder of it's own. When HJT fixes anything, it makes backups of the original files in the folder it is in. Since Temporary folders are emptied now and then (the files are DELETED), it would not be a good idea to have your backups there. Those backups would be VITAL to restoring your system if something went wrong in the FIX process!

1. Please go to you're 'My Documents' folder, right-click and select 'New > Folder' then name the folder 'HJT'.

2. Copy and paste HijackThis.exe to the new folder.

3. Close ALL windows except HJT

4. SCAN with HJT

5. POST the new log in this thread using 'Add Reply'

DO NOT MAKE ANY CHANGES OR CLICK "FIX CHECKED" UNTIL WE CHECK THE LOG, AS SOME OF THE FILES ARE LEGIT AND VITAL TO YOUR COMPUTER'S HEALTH

Thanks Caperjack: HOWEVER:

"Please do this.
Download 'Hijack This!'. HijackThis
Save it in a convenient permanent folder such as C:\HJT\, double click HijackThis.exe, and hit "Scan"."

Problem: Since installing SP2 I cannot download anything! I get the SP2 warning 'Do I really want to...', I hit 'Save' and the animated graphic goes into action but there is no progress. Tried downloading Symantec live update, Windows Updates, Mozilla, etc, now Hijack - all same result. (With Symantec I followed the advice they gave - no difference). Something is blocking the download process.

ok,im lost as to what to tell you,
I have uninstalled sp2 before ,when it slowed my computer ,but it could also cause more problems .

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.