I've had a similar problem with my system restore. Actaully it's not been working for a couple of months now. My computer is 2 and half years old, a Toshiba Satelite A100. Up until April of this year it had never been connected to the internet (I couldn't afford it!), but now it is, so to be safe I purchased Norton Internet Security 2009 and Registry Mechanic. Sadly though, neither fixed my problem with system restore, I still get the message after going through the procedure, system restore cannot restore to selected restore point and nothing has been altered on your computer. Also, my computer will not shut down automatically from shutdown, or resart; I've got to pull the power plug and disconnect the battery to get it to shut down. When it restarts, it takes ages.

Puddlejumper.

Recommended Answers

All 47 Replies

You might erased the system restore points, while cleaning the system. As it holds more space in the disk, it might be done.

The best way to sort your problem is to get rid of that useless Norton rubbish and put some proper protective software on your pc. I bet your pc is still infected with quite a bit of malware.

Mbam, Superantispyware, and Avast antivirus are all free to use and are far far better than Norton. They can all be found easily with Google.

I am having a similar problem. It started when windows spontaneously stated it had to shut down due to some error, which by the way flashed to quick for me to read.Next it shut down, I rebooted, it takes like 5-8 hours just to get to splash screen, then there is another billion hour wait(literaly) of black screen, then another life sucking wait for the desktop to show up, then the icons disappear fo-ever and then reappear hours later. the computer is slow,freezing, and unresponsive, I need major help. System restore will not work at all, I get the message 'system restore cannot protect your computer at this time.'then I just hold power button and begin the painful loop all over again, havent been able to use my pc in 2 months.

hi
you should probably start another thread for this
but
can you start in safe mode?

Roz, do you have an antivirus service installed [just the one...]?
I assume that BIOS runs at normal speed [say, 10 secs to where it commences Windows loading]?------
And then windows takes forever loading? Try to start in Safe mode; watch the drivers scrollling by on the black screen - should be too fast to read. Do you reach the final Safe mode screen in just a minute or so?
You might try disconnecting any USB devices, your modem/router also, and then try a restart.

i am totally not connected to the net, i had Vipre antivirus trial,when it expired I removed it, and it seems to take a file(dont know which windows file) and after that could not connect to the net. so when i hit last good configuration, it goes back to b4 i uninstalled Vipre antivirus. i cannot use my systenm restore,must be corupted, safe mode just gives me a black screen and safe mode in each corner of monitor, and i still cannot do anything with pc. i no longer have xp home edition cd, i want to do a system dump but can not get to the screen i need, plz help!

"safe mode just gives me a black screen and safe mode in each corner of monitor" ...that sounds like Safe mode, alright, but without Explorer running, cos you should see maybe a few of your icons there, plus the Start button. So at the blinking prompt, type:
explorer.exe -and press enter.
When you have an av service installed browsers go through it into the net... the av serves as a browser proxy, and a firewall would show that the av service was actually accessing the net, not the browser. sounds like Vipre didd not correctly uninstall.
Have a look at what the pink angelcake wrote:
http://getsatisfaction.com/sunbeltsoftware/topics/cannot_uninstall_vipre
Gawd.
Read the whole thread... the orange angelcake gives this piece of software to automate the procedure:
http://www.sunbeltsoftware.com/ihs/cs&vclean.exe

Whose thread is this anyway?
PuddleJumper, this is for you.

Specs for Satellite A100
Here’s a list of the things that identify the main features notebook.
Intel Core Duo processor T2300 @ 1.66Ghz (2MB L2 cache)
= It's only 1.66ghz

DDR2@667Mhz FSB. Comes with 512MB and one free slot
= You only have 512mb Ram!

5400rpm, 60GB SATA hard disk

TruBrite widescreen display @ 1280x800
= Obscure display setting

Biometric fingerprint reader
= Fingerprint reader means your finger print!

Multimedia remote control (stored in PCMICA slot)

nVidia GeForce 7300 with 128 main and 128 of shared memory
= 128mb shared memory. You only got 512mb Ram to start with.

DVD RAM integrated drive
Bluetooth 2.0 with Enhanced Data Rate (EDR)
802.11 abg
10/100/1000Mbps Ethernet (gigabit)
IEEE1394 Firewire a (400Mbps)
5-in-1 card reader (SD, Sony MS, Sony MS Pro, MMC, xD)
Realtek integrated audio
4x Hi-speed USB2.0 ports (480Mbps)
Dual mode touch pad
Multimedia keys (Play/Pause/Stop/Forward/Back)
Infrared input (for controller)
S-Video output, D-Sub (VGA) output
Microphone, Headphone, Volume dial
Harman/Kardon stereo speakers
Windows XP Professional
Toshiba specific software

The best way to sort your problem is to get rid of that useless Norton rubbish and put some proper protective software on your pc. I bet your pc is still infected with quite a bit of malware.

Mbam, Superantispyware, and Avast antivirus are all free to use and are far far better than Norton. They can all be found easily with Google.

Yeah, I found out that the Norton is totally rubbish. I did a install of Avast and it found 157 additional bugs. Luckily Noton have a sixty day refund period, I've got another ten days. Anyway, I managed to do a full HDD recovery with the Toshiba HDD recovery disc. It fixed most of my problems except two things. When I open an application such as wordpad or the internet explorer page, the top of the page bar pulsates. Also when connected to the net, I can't type anything, something seems to be interfering with the key inputs. I can type ok when not connected, but I still have that pulsating thingy. Any leads?

Puddlejumper.:confused:

Usually the pulsating thing means you have focus on that application. Click the mouse into the text area and type away!

If ALL my answers are wrong, only then will I read the question

Whose thread is this anyway?
PuddleJumper, this is for you.

Specs for Satellite A100
Here’s a list of the things that identify the main features notebook.
Intel Core Duo processor T2300 @ 1.66Ghz (2MB L2 cache)
= It's only 1.66ghz

DDR2@667Mhz FSB. Comes with 512MB and one free slot
= You only have 512mb Ram!

5400rpm, 60GB SATA hard disk

TruBrite widescreen display @ 1280x800
= Obscure display setting

Biometric fingerprint reader
= Fingerprint reader means your finger print!

Multimedia remote control (stored in PCMICA slot)

nVidia GeForce 7300 with 128 main and 128 of shared memory
= 128mb shared memory. You only got 512mb Ram to start with.

DVD RAM integrated drive
Bluetooth 2.0 with Enhanced Data Rate (EDR)
802.11 abg
10/100/1000Mbps Ethernet (gigabit)
IEEE1394 Firewire a (400Mbps)
5-in-1 card reader (SD, Sony MS, Sony MS Pro, MMC, xD)
Realtek integrated audio
4x Hi-speed USB2.0 ports (480Mbps)
Dual mode touch pad
Multimedia keys (Play/Pause/Stop/Forward/Back)
Infrared input (for controller)
S-Video output, D-Sub (VGA) output
Microphone, Headphone, Volume dial
Harman/Kardon stereo speakers
Windows XP Professional
Toshiba specific software

Thanks Jupiter2 and everybody else who replied to my post, I really appreciate all your help. Jupiter2 this is for you, my A100 is a T2250, 1.73Ghz duo core, 1Gb ram and just about everythng else you mentioned. My problems seemed to be resolved at this point, as I did another full HDD recovery this morning 09/06/09 at 6am. I guess the first time I did it, something was wrong. But everything else seems to be ok. There's no pulsating when an appliction is open and I can type ok when connected to the net. These were two issues that appeared after the first time I did the HDD recovery. Now I'll reinstall my programmes one by one and see what happens. Thanks again to everybody.
Puddlejumper.

I am having a similar problem. It started when windows spontaneously stated it had to shut down due to some error, which by the way flashed to quick for me to read.Next it shut down, I rebooted, it takes like 5-8 hours just to get to splash screen, then there is another billion hour wait(literaly) of black screen, then another life sucking wait for the desktop to show up, then the icons disappear fo-ever and then reappear hours later. the computer is slow,freezing, and unresponsive, I need major help. System restore will not work at all, I get the message 'system restore cannot protect your computer at this time.'then I just hold power button and begin the painful loop all over again, havent been able to use my pc in 2 months.

Hi Roz33
Having just gone through this whole business three times over the last week, the best advice I can give, is that you need to do a full system recovery. If you computer/ laptop came with a HDD recovery disk, you need to do the following.
1/ Insert the disk whilst the machine is on.
2/ Shutdown.
3/While holding the 'C' key, press power on, keep your finger on the 'C' key until you hear an audible beep and the recovery bar begins (It will start at the bottom of your screen.
*Note. Don't bother with the Windows Back up utility, that's what screwed mine up the second time around. Just save any important files/ documents/ music etc on a disk. You can put them back later. Any prog's you've installed since you purchased your computer should be reinstalled using the original disk.
Hope this helps.
Puddlejumper.:*

This is for Rozz33 -
I've never done a restore. Never needed to do one. What am I doing wrong? Or perhaps, what am I doing right?

If you are a Gamer, Youtube watcher or do a lot of things with videos then this is your problem.
- Save often. Don't play continuously for more than 2 hours. If it's a low end game then make it 3 hours. Then shutdown and go have a coffee break.
-----------------------------------------------------------
In all your software applications, uncheck or disable "Check for Updates" This includes iTunes. If you have Nero then unselect Nero Scout. Disable Automatic Updates for Antivirus software and Windows Updates. If you prefer not to do this then have it set to "Notify" rather than auto update.

You possibly have insufficient Ram or your video card has insufficient Video memory. You need at least 512 mb Ram and 128mb Video memory. If you are using onboard video then this memory is taken from the Ram.
Your power supply unit should be at least 450 Watt ( assuming this is not a laptop).

This is for Rozz33 -
I've never done a restore. Never needed to do one. What am I doing wrong? Or perhaps, what am I doing right?

If you are a Gamer, Youtube watcher or do a lot of things with videos then this is your problem.
- Save often. Don't play continuously for more than 2 hours. If it's a low end game then make it 3 hours. Then shutdown and go have a coffee break.
-----------------------------------------------------------
In all your software applications, uncheck or disable "Check for Updates" This includes iTunes. If you have Nero then unselect Nero Scout. Disable Automatic Updates for Antivirus software and Windows Updates. If you prefer not to do this then have it set to "Notify" rather than auto update.

You possibly have insufficient Ram or your video card has insufficient Video memory. You need at least 512 mb Ram and 128mb Video memory. If you are using onboard video then this memory is taken from the Ram.
Your power supply unit should be at least 450 Watt ( assuming this is not a laptop).

---------------------------------------------------------------
Rozz33
Jupy is partially correct, well mostly anyways. But I've found that any game (if that's your thing), post 2005, will only run effectively with 1Gb ram (2 is better) and 256mb on your video card. But Jupy missed your dilemna, your computer is presently "failing to proceed" (as Mercedes drivers say when the junker has broken down). As I mentioned before, the only way out of your current state is to fully restore your computer to the delivered condition, with the HDD recovery. If done properly (I did not at the begining, but I learnt reeeaallly fast--2 days later), your computer will like new. Oh and Jupiter2 if you haven't had to do this, you're liucky. Three out of five people I've spoken to over the last few days have had to do this, but mainly on Laptops.

Cheers Puddlejumper.:cool:

Puddlejumper - Three out of five people I've spoken to over the last few days have had to do this, but mainly on Laptops.

You will find that those laptop users are using them for online gaming (not gambling, per se), youtube watching. Laptops are not "really" designed for that sort of exertion. And those people are usually aged between 14 and 25.

Also, If it is Dell or Compaq dektop, they ship their computers with minimal PSU output, just enough oomph to turn the computer on. Even on their sites they say "if you upgrade any part or device, make sure you get a 480 Watt power supply." or words to that effect and written in teeny weeny font.

Perhaps Roz33 could just boot to setup CD and just select upgrade?

I collect discarded computers and try to get them working. Sometimes I give them away, for free, but mostly I try to analyse them. I've got about 12 computers almost stacked to the roof, plus the ones I actually use for different purposes. I'm not an expert, just a novice in training.

You will find that those laptop users are using them for online gaming (not gambling, per se), youtube watching. Laptops are not "really" designed for that sort of exertion. And those people are usually aged between 14 and 25.

Also, If it is Dell or Compaq dektop, they ship their computers with minimal PSU output, just enough oomph to turn the computer on. Even on their sites they say "if you upgrade any part or device, make sure you get a 480 Watt power supply." or words to that effect and written in teeny weeny font.

Perhaps Roz33 could just boot to setup CD and just select upgrade?

I collect discarded computers and try to get them working. Sometimes I give them away, for free, but mostly I try to analyse them. I've got about 12 computers almost stacked to the roof, plus the ones I actually use for different purposes. I'm not an expert, just a novice in training.

Yep Jupiter you are right. Dell and Compaq both do the same, for the reason they come off the same assembly line. To anyone considering buying a Laptop, there is only three or four to consider. Although I own a Toshiba and they are good, HP though more expensive, are worth the extra, so that would be my #1 choice; #2 a top of the range Toshiba: #3 Asus would round it out. There is one or two others, but forget Sony. They look good, and perform reasonably well if you treat them gently...but that's exactly what how you have to be with them. Getting back to Rozz's problem, yes a full HDD cd reboot is the only to resolve the computer's present condition, that or spend the money and get a Technician to look at it. Down here in OZ, most of them will charge you $75 before they even do anything. That's why I learnt all I could myself, in the end I saved myself $295. But that's only if your Hard Drive is not fried, or the CPU itself.
Puddlejumper:ooh:

Rozz33, if you decide to throw out that computer and you live in Australia, way down south but not on that island, feel free to put it on my porch. I could either fix it or blow it up!

the trouble this pc has given me at the moment i choose you blow it up!!! i have been able to fix everything else on it since i had since 12/03, but this is a do-hicky!!!

Hi Roz33
Having just gone through this whole business three times over the last week, the best advice I can give, is that you need to do a full system recovery. If you computer/ laptop came with a HDD recovery disk, you need to do the following.
1/ Insert the disk whilst the machine is on.
2/ Shutdown.
3/While holding the 'C' key, press power on, keep your finger on the 'C' key until you hear an audible beep and the recovery bar begins (It will start at the bottom of your screen.
*Note. Don't bother with the Windows Back up utility, that's what screwed mine up the second time around. Just save any important files/ documents/ music etc on a disk. You can put them back later. Any prog's you've installed since you purchased your computer should be reinstalled using the original disk.
Hope this helps.
Puddlejumper.:*

I do not have the disk that came with my pc, i bought it used from the pawnshop owner in my town because he was getting a new pc for x-mas, he sold me his. this is the first time i have not been able to fix it on my own since i bought it in 12/03. can anyone tell me how to get back to the screen where you do a system dump, which sets the pc back to factory settings? my start menu bar is not showing so i do not know how to get to it any other way.

Roz33 - Don't throw it out. Start a new thread because this thread is just about to be closed as solved. You will get more answers in your own thread.

Hi puddlejumper,

This is Mike from the Norton Authorized Support Team.

If you are unable to enable System Restore you may first need to disable the Norton Tamper Protection feature, carry-out the restore and then re-enable Tamper Protection. Please follow the instructions below.

1. Open Norton Internet Security 2009 and select the "Settings" link next to "Computer."

2. Select the "Miscellaneous" tab and then turnoff "Norton Product Tamper Protection." Click the "Apply" and then "OK" buttons.

Next, follow the instructions in the document below to re-enable System Restore.

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2001111912274039?OpenDocument&seg=ag&lg=en&ct=us

After you have restored your computer, go back in to Norton Internet Security and re-enable the Tamper Protection feature.

Let me know if this process resolves the issue.

Thank you,
Mike

I've had a similar problem with my system restore. Actaully it's not been working for a couple of months now. My computer is 2 and half years old, a Toshiba Satelite A100. Up until April of this year it had never been connected to the internet (I couldn't afford it!), but now it is, so to be safe I purchased Norton Internet Security 2009 and Registry Mechanic. Sadly though, neither fixed my problem with system restore, I still get the message after going through the procedure, system restore cannot restore to selected restore point and nothing has been altered on your computer. Also, my computer will not shut down automatically from shutdown, or resart; I've got to pull the power plug and disconnect the battery to get it to shut down. When it restarts, it takes ages.

Puddlejumper.

commented: Precise +1

Hi puddlejumper,

This is Mike from the Norton Authorized Support Team.

If you are unable to enable System Restore you may first need to disable the Norton Tamper Protection feature, carry-out the restore and then re-enable Tamper Protection. Please follow the instructions below.

1. Open Norton Internet Security 2009 and select the "Settings" link next to "Computer."

2. Select the "Miscellaneous" tab and then turnoff "Norton Product Tamper Protection." Click the "Apply" and then "OK" buttons.

Next, follow the instructions in the document below to re-enable System Restore.

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2001111912274039?OpenDocument&seg=ag&lg=en&ct=us

After you have restored your computer, go back in to Norton Internet Security and re-enable the Tamper Protection feature.

Let me know if this process resolves the issue.

Thank you,
Mike

Hi Mike,
Thanks for your response. I have been able to resolve the critical issues on my computer by doing a full HDD recovery as I outlined in a post to Rozz33. But it is fortuitous that you joined this discussion when you did. One of the major problems I had after doing the HDD recovery, was that there still some BUG issues effecting my computer. A number of people told me to get rid of my Norton software as it is useless. At first I did not believe them, but after joining Daniweb and reading similar posts to mine, many people said the same thing. So I got my boss to have his technician have a look at my system and he scanned it with Mcafee and found 157 issues missed by my Norton software. Just to be sure, he did not repair those issues immediately, and re-scanned my computer with another security programme (I think it was Avast), again 163 outstanding issues showed up and were repaired. I was about to submit a refund request to Symantec this morning, but if you can convince me that my Norton Internet Security 2009 software is as good as the others and can find those other BUGS, (without me having to upgrade to another Norton product, I paid $88aus for mine), then I will not go ahead with the refund submission. Thankyou.

Puddlejumper.:?:

the trouble this pc has given me at the moment i choose you blow it up!!! i have been able to fix everything else on it since i had since 12/03, but this is a do-hicky!!!

Roz33,
Hi, can you tell the me brand and year model of your computer, I assume it's a Laptop. Let me know soon and I'll try and help if I can.
Puddlejumper.

OKAY...obviously this thread is going to stay open.

Originally Posted by roz33
I am having a similar problem. It started when windows spontaneously stated it had to shut down due to some error,

Roz33 - What were you doing at that time of shutdown?
Also, You got it from a sceond-hand dealer,in case no one is sure what a Pawn Broker means. Since you got it back in 2003, I would assume it is a Pentium 2 or at most, Pentium 3 (or AMD Equivalent). Only good for Win 98 or win 2000 Nt. You won't be able to do much with it nowadays. Parts are unavailable, except in my cupboard. (hehehe) or a computer swap-meet.
I've got an old Pentium 2 I keep for the old games. Perhaps if you find a fix, you too can play some old games.

Jupiter 2- Totally agree with you. Let's wait to hear what Roz33 says next. Rozz if you're reading this and your machine is more than six years old. Dump it; it's not even worth a trade in. (Some stores here in OZ will trade your Laptop if it meets certain criteria, age being one of them and operating system being the other. Anything still on Windows 98 is considered a Dinosaur.)
Puddlejumper.

Jupiter 2- Totally agree with you. Let's wait to hear what Roz33 says next. Rozz if you're reading this and your machine is more than six years old. Dump it; it's not even worth a trade in. (Some stores here in OZ will trade your Laptop if it meets certain criteria, age being one of them and operating system being the other. Anything still on Windows 98 is considered a Dinosaur.)
Puddlejumper.

my pc is a compaq presario desktop 6420nx amd athelon running xp home edition. I dont have the disk to reinstall because it came on the pc when i got it. can anyone recommend another way of rolling back to factory settings without the disk? this has got to end!!! i want my pc back and running!!! i dont care about losing files, i just want the thing working again and i have no disk! i put a new hard drive in last april, its been working fine up until last month, what gives?

OKAY...obviously this thread is going to stay open.

Roz33 - What were you doing at that time of shutdown?
Also, You got it from a sceond-hand dealer,in case no one is sure what a Pawn Broker means. Since you got it back in 2003, I would assume it is a Pentium 2 or at most, Pentium 3 (or AMD Equivalent). Only good for Win 98 or win 2000 Nt. You won't be able to do much with it nowadays. Parts are unavailable, except in my cupboard. (hehehe) or a computer swap-meet.
I've got an old Pentium 2 I keep for the old games. Perhaps if you find a fix, you too can play some old games.

i was doing reserch on the web for my homework assignment, i was on webmd i think, and then poof!!! i get a warning windows is shutting down due to something i coudlnt read because it happened so fast. can anyone hepl? is there a data recovery program i can use to get to the recovery console i keep hearing is on my system? i have no start menu bar at the bottom of screen, i have to use task manager just to acess anything becuz my destop icons are not on desktop either.tried to install avg 8 to scan pc, but it wont install, installed hijackthis, and it wont save the log so i can post it here,dont know what else to do now.

I got a discarded computer a couple of days ago. its an AMD Sempron, 2.8ghz 250 watt PSU, 64mbRam, DVD dual layer burner 36gb HDD. 256 mb Ram PC2700. i also found a similar one a few weeks ago on the footpath and took a couple of weeks to get it going again. this recent one took a couple of hours.

These are standard devices from Compaq. The AGP ATI Video card is only 64mb. I use a 64 mb Video card on my Pentium2!
Even my P2 has a higher PSU wattage (400 Watt) It is not necessarily Wattage but Amps that account for power usage.

Compaq, and many other brand names, no longer provide a restoire disk. they preload it at shipping. you have to create your own. Either 4 x cd or 1 x dvd disc. I did a dvd disk. I'v got a stack a foot high but only 1 that is DVD +R hmmm guess what the utility wanted. The utility only allows 2 restore DVD disks: 1 plus 1 backup ... then it deletes itself?

Without a restore disk, you can't restore.

More later...

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.