EU's computer boots to XP, gets to the desktop, and keyboard and mouse stop functioning. Same story Safe Mode, and Last Known Good.

Tried different Keyboard/Mouse.

No PS/2 connectors.

Found a XP Pro disk - it wouldn't repair (couldn't see) the XP Home install, but I loaded a new windows install in a new directory. Keyboard and mouse work there, so the hardware's ok.

Chkdsk /r comes up clean.

So, how do I fix the problem in the old Windows install?

Recommended Answers

All 16 Replies

Hi and welcome to Daniweb,
Got to Devise Manager (To access the “Devise Manager” Go “Start” “Run” type “devmgmt.msc” without the “ “ then press “OK”) check for yellow exclamation marks. Right click your mouse and keyboard and click update drivers.
If you are still having troubles Go, "Start", "Run", type sfc /scannow and click OK. If still having problems go here:-
http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/How-to-repair-Windows-XP-t138.html

Hi and welcome to Daniweb,
Got to Devise Manager (To access the “Devise Manager” Go “Start” “Run” type “devmgmt.msc” without the “ “ then press “OK”) check for yellow exclamation marks. Right click your mouse and keyboard and click update drivers.

On the new installation, no exclamation points. (can't run Device Manager on the old installation; no keyboard/mouse).

If you are still having troubles Go, "Start", "Run", type sfc /scannow and click OK.

On the new installation, comes up ok. Again, can't run it on the old installation.

If still having problems go here:-
http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/How-to-repair-Windows-XP-t138.html

I can't repair the old installation - apparently because it's a Pro CD that doesn't see the Home installation. Rummaging EVERYWHERE for a Home CD, still haven't found it. :-(

Hi,
Yes you said you have no keyboard or mouse and I did not think. Again!!
try this:-

You need to use another computer or your operating XP and download the program used to make an Ultimate Boot CD.
1. Run the program and make a Boot CD from the ISO.
2. Use that CD to boot your computer.
3. Before you run any other program in UBCD, I recommend that you run a virus scan and malwarebytes to remove all viruses that hide or can not be removed when Windows is running.
An Ultimate Boot CD for Windows is a bootable recovery CD that contains software used for repairing, restoring, or diagnosing almost any computer problem. Use the link below to download a customized ISO file of the Ultimate Boot CD for Windows. A CD-ROM created from this ISO file will be a bootable disk containing a myriad of diagnostics and utilities. The software contained on the Ultimate Boot CD for Windows is either freeware or has been designed "for personal use only". Check the site for all the different software that is included on the CD and if necessary, instructions on how to use that software. Assuming there is no hardware problem with your computer, you will be able to go on-line and update any program or locate other software (drivers etc)
Click here for the official Ultimate Boot CD for Windows website: http://www.ubcd4win.com/
If you don’t know how to burn a CD with an ISO file, check the site, there are detailed instructions there on using several different burning programs.

Hi all

This is not a fix but a reasonable workaround. I would've just Booted to the "new" OS, copied all the data over from the "old" OS and installed the necessary drivers and software onto the new. When done I would've just deleted the old windows folder and who would've guessed I'm working on a new install :)

Hi all

This is not a fix but a reasonable workaround. I would've just Booted to the "new" OS, copied all the data over from the "old" OS and installed the necessary drivers and software onto the new. When done I would've just deleted the old windows folder and who would've guessed I'm working on a new install :)

Ouch. Painful and (I hope) unnecessary. Reinstalling 30-40 programs, grabbing every last morsel out of docs & settings? Double ouch.

Hi,
You need to use another computer or your operating XP and download the program used to make an Ultimate Boot CD.

Thanks for the help, Bob.

Does it matter that I'm using the 'wrong' (i.e. Pro vs. Home) version of windows?

Thanks.

The PE Builder crashes with these errors:

Warning: building from an OEM version of Windows can mean trouble...
[...]
Error: DeleteFile() "C:\UBCD4WIN\BARTPE\I386\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\petmphive" failed
Error: DeleteFile() "C:\UBCD4WIN\BARTPE\I386\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\petmphive.log" failed
Error: DeleteFile() "C:\UBCD4WIN\BARTPE\I386\SYSTEM32\setuphiv" failed
Error: DeleteFile() "C:\UBCD4WIN\BARTPE\I386\SYSTEM32\setuphiv.log" failed
[...]
Builder has stopped because there are 4 build errors
ISO image is not created, you must fix the errors!
Building done...
There where 4 errors and 1 warnings

Eh?

Hi,
Sorry about the absence, I lost my PC to a power crash and had to do a lot of work (using UBCD) to get it back,
What can I tell you, I have made the disc twice and not had any problems. There are forums and FAQs there on the site, see if anything is there about your problem or just try again.
The program only requires a copy of windows to work so if you have that you should not have any problems.

Hi
been working in the IT environment for some years now and never before has it taken me more than 3 hours to install a Operating system with its softies, currently its taking you more than a day to resolve this...Tripple Ouch!!!

Hi sittas87,
You could offer the OP a solution!!!

Hi,
Yes you said you have no keyboard or mouse and I did not think. Again!!
try this:-

1. Run the program and make a Boot CD from the ISO.
2. Use that CD to boot your computer.
3. Before you run any other program in UBCD, I recommend that you run a virus scan and malwarebytes to remove all viruses that hide or can not be removed when Windows is running.
An Ultimate Boot CD for Windows is a bootable recovery CD that contains software used for repairing, restoring, or diagnosing almost any computer problem. Use the link below to download a customized ISO file of the Ultimate Boot CD for Windows. A CD-ROM created from this ISO file will be a bootable disk containing a myriad of diagnostics and utilities. The software contained on the Ultimate Boot CD for Windows is either freeware or has been designed "for personal use only". Check the site for all the different software that is included on the CD and if necessary, instructions on how to use that software. Assuming there is no hardware problem with your computer, you will be able to go on-line and update any program or locate other software (drivers etc)
Click here for the official Ultimate Boot CD for Windows website: http://www.ubcd4win.com/
If you don’t know how to burn a CD with an ISO file, check the site, there are detailed instructions there on using several different burning programs.

Hi
been working in the IT environment for some years now and never before has it taken me more than 3 hours to install a Operating system with its softies, currently its taking you more than a day to resolve this...Tripple Ouch!!!

Anyway: post mortem: found a WinXP Home disk and it repaired the installation. Half hour. End of story. Well, thank to everyone who helped.

This is not a fix but a reasonable workaround. I would've just Booted to the new Operating System

This is not a fix but a reasonable workaround. I would've just Booted to the new Operating System

How is it not a fix when he has repaired his problem with the OS disk?
How do you boot to, what new, operating system?

And reinstall the application? No, thanks, not unless I really HAD to.

How is it not a fix when he has repaired his problem with the OS disk?

Right.

How do you boot to, what new, operating system?

In the original question I said that I had loaded a XP Pro installation, parallel to the busted XP home install. I'm still wondering if there was a 'better' way to solve this problem, than reinstalling. Curious.

If your kb/mouse worked in BIOS etc, stopped when Windows loaded, then it was a driver problem. And the best way to fix that on an inoperative sys is to run windows Repair. That is what it is for. Shame it forces you to dl all the updates again. And often some software must be reinstalled.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.