Okay, couple of days ago I was gift a USB memory stick. It worked fine until my friend pushed its metal part inwards...I pulled it outwards but now it does not work any more. The red light is on so it means the power is on, but USB device is no longer recognized. It says USB device is not recognized or like so....

I have :
MS Windows Vista Home Premium SP1
Intel Core2 duo CPU T5450 @ 1,66 GHz
2 Gb RAM
Mobile intel 965 express chipset family

HP Pavilion Entertainment PC.
What to do to get my USB memory stick recognized again. No updates have been done to my PC before and after the metal part was pushed inwards and pulled outwards...

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Sounds like some broken silicone or maybe the metal pins aren't touching to the USB connectors (or maybe they are too damaged to send proper signals)... When it comes to physical damage there is little hope. Just attempt to bend it a bit more back into place :)

Do you get any kind of response when you plug it in?

Is there anything vitally important on the USB stick, or do you just want it to work again?

Your friend broke it, they should buy you a new one.
If not, perhaps you need to re-evaluate the relationship.

Sounds like some broken silicone or maybe the metal pins aren't touching to the USB connectors (or maybe they are too damaged to send proper signals)... When it comes to physical damage there is little hope. Just attempt to bend it a bit more back into place :)

Do you get any kind of response when you plug it in?

I opened up the USB device...i saw chips and stuff in, everything was fine, then I plugged opened device in PC and red light turned on, but USB device was not recognized....:S

Yeah, he broke it and gave me a new one....but i want the old one to work also :P ... Since it was my school end gift ( I ended my 9th grade and we all were gifted USB devices XD )

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.