hi guys

i bought a notebook recently with windows xp. After a few days everytime i turned the computer on it would bring up a file c:/, this happened for a number of weeks. Recently two files now open on launch of computer, one titled internet file and another random letters. No documents in either file.

I have ran my anti-virus and no virus' found.

Any ideas how to stop this from happening?

Thanks in advance for all your help

tommy

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

These files are probably being called by one of the following methods.

the start up folder in the start menu everything in this folder will launch and boot time.

msconfig. click start open run type msconfig then click the startup tab and remove anything that is not suposed to be there.

Registry. Click start click run type regedit search for run and runonce and remove any entries that should not be there.

Be carefull especially in the registry dont remove anything that you dont understand just look for the file that open that you dont want.

thanks a million buddy, that seems to be it sorted! appreciate ur help

have a good day

tommy

Your welcome,

Please feel free to come back in the future if you need further help.

the easier way would be to download and use HIJACKTHIS utility and delete the suspected entry. Ur problem is solved.

Just a note for future reference :
The Paths to be followed in the registry to remove Startup items are :

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

&

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

The Key (To the Left Of The Screen) is not to be deleted, just the String(To The Right Of the Screen) is to be deleted.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.