During install of XP my HD was given the drive letter H: because the card reader was assigned C:, D:, E: and F:.

Now when I am trying to install drivers I am encountering a problem. Most of the drivers are Setup.exe type files and when I open them they automatically want to install to C:\Windows\Temp. Since my system is on H:, how do I change the default install directory on these Setup.exe files.

I changed the card reader to I: but it will not let me change the HD to C: since it has teh system files on it

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Use environment variable setting. [control panel, system, advanced tab]. But some installers don't give any option to select where they write their temp files, don't use the environment variable - they just expect C: to be the system drive, and go there.

Change the C: unit in the card reader to another letter. Now, you can use the "subst" command to create a C: drive, to a folder of you system partition. I think this may help you.
Or you can disable usb ports to disable the card reader and reinstall your Operating system. The letter in the system partition can't be changed.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.