Please i just formatted my system- HP pentium 4 and reload windows XP but i can't seem to see another system on the network now-don't have access to the network and can't browse the internet too (i am postin dis from a friend's PC if you wondering:)) but before i formatted it,i use to. Do i need a new driver? which driver is that-the name and where I could download from?

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

goto control panel system hardware device manager and install a driver for each yellow question mark

i'd try it now. thanks freshfitz

the ethernet controller was havin a yellow questionmark. is there a way i could download it online.i dont have the CD to install it or how do i go about it?

Sure, just get as much detail from the properties as you can, then do a search for "driver + OS + whatever you know about the device"

Download things which look promising, then put them on a CD / USB / floppy and see if anything installs.

Sure, just get as much detail from the properties as you can, then do a search for "driver + OS + whatever you know about the device"

Download things which look promising, then put them on a CD / USB / floppy and see if anything installs.

NOT the best advice.... sorry. When unsure about installing drivers, the hit-and-miss method can make a bigger mess of things.

Locate the latest possible driver build for your hardware, but use the Device Manager to do the driver install. Now in the case of drivers packed in a installer, Winrar will sometimes be able to unpack, but Universal Extractor has a better hit rate, especially on those using an InstallShield installer, which Winrar can't access.

Once drivers extracted, use Device Manager to install from local file/folder (just be sure to select the "sub-directories" option.

Doing it this way ensures you don't end loading your system with drivers not compatible with your hardware (as is possible in anything prior to Vista).

Happy hunting :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.