I started taking CISCO classes last year, and last week I got to take home a legacy PC to fiddle with since our school was making room for some new machines. When I used it at the school, it worked fine. :mrgreen:

When I got it home I realized that I didn't get a monitor with the computer, so I'd have to borrow the monitor from a friend's Gateway PC running Windows ME that I don't know much about. :(

I plugged it in and there were error messages. This was to be expected, I guess, since the first thing I did when I got it home was stuff it full of more RAM, PCI cards and some old ISA cards than you could shake a stick at. I had 'em lying around since I couldn't very well get by with a single onboard AT port. :rolleyes:

So I'm trying to find a Win98 boot disk and I shut the machine off because it's just wasting power. I find one, turn it back on, and immediately get an "Out of Frequency" error. :mad:

HF: 25.4
VF: 56.0

Operatable Frequency
HF: 30-95
VF: 50-160

So I guess my question is this: Is there any way to change the horizontal frequency into an operatable range using another computer that works? The monitor is a Gateway EV910C CRT. :?:

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Is there any way to change the horizontal frequency into an operatable range using another computer that works?

Not exactly. The fix doesn't involve modifying the monitor's settings; you have to change the settings of your video card/monitor configuration in the computer that you want to use the monitor on to something compatible with that monitor.

Starting off using the generic VGA/SVGA drivers or the "generic VGA monitor" setting should at least get you a usable display.

DMR... at this point he is locked out...

The way to fix this is to go into safe mode on power up using F8...

It will default to a freq that will work.

Lower the video freq settings and reboot...

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.