I'm no techie. I am trying to get my daughter onto msn messenger
and am struggling.

We are running Windows XP albeit 2003 version.
We have Windows Live, but everytime we try and log into
messenger it says " signing into .Net messenger service failed
because the service is not compatible with this version of the program"

Does this mean my windows XP software is too old?

Her friend has set up the account for her, so its all there
but just can't seem to log in.

Could anybody please help, but not make it too complicated
for me:-) Many thanks

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Try to run a windows update and then give it a shot, let us know. also make sure the clock and date in your computer is correct.

It means you need to update to WLM - http://download.live.com/?sku=messenger

Hi I tried to dowload the file you suggested and got the following error message. I must tell you that I'm living in back and beyond in Spain working off an analogue line so not sure if that has anything to do with it?

Error message C:\Documentsandsettings\owner\localsettings\temporaryinternetfiles\content.1E%\%3YBC1QL\wlsetup-all[1].exe is not a valid Win32
application.

Do you have other ideas.

Thanks

Cathy (the non-techie one)

Try to run a windows update and then give it a shot, let us know. also make sure the clock and date in your computer is correct.

Hi Joe

Please see my repsonse. I tried but got another error
message.

Meanwhile I will check clock and date.

Many thanks

You need to follow jbisono's advice and update windows then.

I had the same thing when I re-installed my XP-Pro system.
You need to make sure that you have at least SP2 (preferably SP3) installed to be able to install and log onto the current messenger service.

Since you are using a slow dialup, you will be better of going to an internet cafe to download the servoce packs. Remember to also download the latest messenger package. That shoild solve your issues.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.