Hi,
I need to install win98SE into my new computer with a 100.0G hardisk.

I have 2 questions about it:

1. I used FDISK(with a bootable win98 cd) in my previous computer, once i made for different partition, it need to scan and scan every time...

Do we have a faster way to make partition for installing win98??

2. When start the win98 setup, it will scan through all the partitions it have and FORMAT them!!!
It really take very LONG TIME for the setup to format a 100.0G hardisk!!! (i think need take up to 1 hour just for the formating)

Do we have a faster way to "skip" the formating in the setup?? (i mean do the formating later or before it with quick format)

Thanks if someone can help.

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

Hi,I have never loaded win98 on such a big drive with multiple partitions ,but have on a smaller drive with 2 partitions and I formated c: first ,loaded windows and format the other one later ! you could also try the
format c:\ q ,for quick format doesn't always work though .
Win98 se Setup does not in my experience format any partition when you run it the format is always done first !Actually win98 setup will not start if the drive is not formated first !

Oic, thanks.

If you are going to the trouble of reinstalling the OS you need to do a full format and not a quick/fast format

If you want to save some time...
Copy the win98 folder and its' contents to the newly formatted drive and run setup from there....

For doing multiple installs I made a ghost image of a basic 98 install and I ghost that image to the new system then when it boots up it only needs to load up the drivers for any new hardware. Many times it automatically looks in the win98 folder on the hard drive and blazes through the install.

Dont try to shortcut the low level partitioning or formatting.
It can come back and bite you on the AZZ !

Hi Thong_Ispector,
Thank you for giving ur opinion.
Of cause i will do a full format for the partition which is going to install os.
i just dont 1 2 do full format for the remaining partitions, it really wasting time.

I just learn the way to copy the win98 folder to the drive and install from it, but i have no idea about the "ghost".... can u give some links which can see more info about it?

Thanks.

You must format all partitions at least once..

You can use a program like Partition Magic which will work inside windows and it can format those for you faster than dos format or even normal (windows)format

Google Norton Ghost and you will find info about ghost imaging a drive.

An alternative is to use the Nero backup but...
There is an issue about partition size when you restore to the new system and you can fix it by running Partition Magic and slightly resizing the partition after which you see correct partition information.

Why do a full format?

Unless there's data integrity or something similar at stake, a quick format is sufficient.
Simply marking those sectors as "empty" or available is just fine, as the drive will appear blank to DOS, or to Windows while it's being installed. Unless it's a bare drive, I just about always do a quick format, and I've never had a single problem.

The way I read the original post is that this is a new computer and a new 100 gig hard drive.

Each partition must be formatted (Full Format)
At least the first time...

If there is any doubt, do a full format...
Data integrity is always a factor

Hi,
I need to install win98SE into my new computer with a 100.0G hardisk.

I have 2 questions about it:

1. I used FDISK(with a bootable win98 cd) in my previous computer, once i made for different partition, it need to scan and scan every time...

Do we have a faster way to make partition for installing win98??

2. When start the win98 setup, it will scan through all the partitions it have and FORMAT them!!!
It really take very LONG TIME for the setup to format a 100.0G hardisk!!! (i think need take up to 1 hour just for the formating)

Do we have a faster way to "skip" the formating in the setup?? (i mean do the formating later or before it with quick format)

Thanks if someone can help.

first u all copy of urs win98 se directory on u hardisk. any hardisk partiotion c , d , e u store that dir. to formate of u hardisk u apply .
which hard drive partion u format likke c:\format /q this actually work when u use u hardisk 2 nd format work. means that is not fresh hardisk . u r format again second time

first u all copy of urs win98 se directory on u hardisk. any hardisk partiotion c , d , e u store that dir. to formate of u hardisk u apply .
which hard drive partion u format likke c:\format /q this actually work when u use u hardisk 2 nd format work. means that is not fresh hardisk . u r format again second time

Hi rr4002 ,,this is help fourm not a chat fourm ,so we do try not to use chat lingo/short hand ,just so that you message is clear to the reader ,i did some chat awhile back and have to say im having a hard time understanding what you are trying to say in you post .thanks

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.