I went on extended vacations and forgot passwords for my user and Administrator. Since, I assembled this computer myself, I wont get help from any vendor. I have some important business related data on this hard disk.

Is there anyway, that I can copy data from this computer's hard disk to another hard disk ?

Thanks

Becky

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

what file system are you using - NTFS or FAT 32? If you're using FAT 32, plug the HD into a Win 98 system - you'll be able to access the secure info.
The other option is to use a Linnux system to do a similar thing. Not quite sure how you do this, but a few friends of mine have done it without probs.

Is there anyway, that I can copy data from this computer's hard disk to another hard disk ?

Knoppix can do this, no problem, but NTFS is read-only under Linux. You can copy from NTFS to a vFAT partition, bypassing the password problem altogether.

is there a site explaning how it would be done ,as i have knoppix and would like to learn how to use it for this purpose ,i'm not really a good linux user

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.