I have been having problems with my computer freezing up. It usually happens about 1 minute after turning on the computer....it doesn't matter where it's at in the loading process. It can happen before or after Windows has started. A little about the computer....it is a PENTIUM 4 2.4GHz system. ECSP4VXASD2 Deluxe motherboard. It has Window XP, an Nvidia GeForce graphics card (it's not the original...I have replaced it) and I just replaced the 512 mb ddr memory with 2 gb, thinking that was the problem and it's still freezing. It also has a fairly new hard drive in it too (maybe a couple of years old)It freezes before I can get anything done. Everything freezes, the mouse, the keyboard. It's very annoying, I can't get in to check anything out. Any help you can give would be great.

Recommended Answers

All 13 Replies

Can you boot in to Safe Mode?
Tapping F8 continuously during boot-up.

I booted it to safe mode and it still froze....now what?

Member Avatar for Moeslock

Are all the cooling fans running ?? specially the CPU fan and if it is, has the computer been cleaned lately, the heat sink on the CPU could be clogged with dust, causing it to overheat.

Yes it has been cleaned and the cooling fans are all running. I have noticed that when it is loading the monitor will go black and then come back up. Could this be a problem with the graphics card? I just replaced the memory in it yesterday thinking that was the problem. It doesn't give me enough time to do anything before it freezes.

Normally it has been seen that these kind of issues occurs when either some segments of your hard drive is not functioning OR If there is some kind of infection...

At this point of time i can suggest you to check the HARD DRIVE running a hadr drive seft test from the BIOS of your computer... & let us know the outcome....

hi ,if the computer you are using to post here has a burner in it ,download the knoppix live cd in my signature ,burning the iso image file to CD-R and see if the computer will boot to it

Ok, I couldn't find any way to run a check on my hard drive. I had my computer built by someone so it is not an hp or anything. I did manage to run the sfc/scannow in safe mode (before it froze up on me) and it gave me an error 0x000006ba. It also said the rpc server is unavailable. Also can I run the knoppix on windows?

This behavior can occur if the certificate for VeriSign time stamping has been removed from the computer. This certificate is listed as: "Issued To: No Liability Accepted, (c)97 VeriSign, Inc.".

To determine whether this certificate has been removed from the system, follow these steps:
Locate a Windows 2000-based computer that exhibits these symptoms.
Click Start, click Run, type mmc, and then click OK.
In the Microsoft Management Console, click Console, and then click Add/Remove Snap-in.
In the Add/Remove dialog box, click Add.
Click Certificates, and then click Add.
Click Computer Account, and then click Next.
Click Local Computer, and then click Finish.
Click Close, and then click OK.
In the console tree, double-click Certificates (Local Computer).
Double-click Trusted Root Certificate Authorities, and then click Certificates.
In the details pane, locate the No Liability Accepted certificate. If the certificate is missing, follow the steps in the "Resolution" section to export the certificate from another workstation and import it.
:idea:

I would recommend putting the old memory back in the system and checking the system stability. I like caperjack's idea about knoppix since it will allow you to identify if it a hardware or software issue.

My Rule of thumb is if I upgrade hardware or software and I get undesired results afterwards. I uninstall or remove the new hardware to see if I get the same results.

AJZ

For right now I hooked up another computer for him to use. I am going to hook this one up so I can figure it out without him needing to use it. Keep the ideas coming...I'm trying everything. Thanks for all your help. So appreciated!

For right now I hooked up another computer for him to use. I am going to hook this one up so I can figure it out without him needing to use it. Keep the ideas coming...I'm trying everything. Thanks for all your help. So appreciated!

try the live Linux disk ,if it runs and works then you at least know it not a hardware problem

I will try the Linux disk....thanks so much for all your help.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.