Can anyone out there help me, please.
I had an e-machine with XP home installed. the machine died the death BUT I managed to salvage the hard drive.
Working by studying here and other forums I have created an i386 file of the installation on CD.
When I tried installing it on another machine I was getting the NETUPGRD.dll missing error.
I downloaded a copy of this file and by copying both this file and the i386 to my hard disk, I can now get a little further.
Now I get an error about missing netmap.inf.
If I ignore this error the installation will accept the original key but still not install.
Can anyone take the time to write a description of what I need to do, or better still take the time to get with me, one on one, to try and fix this.
I really do not want to waste a perfectly good and legal Windows XP for the sake of a little extra knowledge.
Thanks

Contributors
Replies
Views
8 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by gerbil

Hi Igor056,
FYI
I understand your wanting to save the XP License, but its probably an OEM Version for your eMachine correct?
If so the license dies with the computer, I can't help you its piracy
Regards
Dr.D

Well, you could help, because the final arbiter on this matter is M$, and they will make their authority known when validation is sought. M$ do allow upgrading, parts replacement, and if a machine is more than a year old it can be major surgery. Don't they track the MAC.addy? Which is very likely tied to the e-machine by a block of codes, and so M$ would know a different NIC was in place, not an emachine, and so express their judgement on that? I dunno, I just wondering.. and I don't know the finer points of the software licences.
All I know about those two files is that they should be in i386 for the OEM Setup's purposes. But I don't know how to help.

I've been doing OEM for 15+ ears now and its piracy plain aND simply.
OEM is the reason its so much cheaper then Retail, here in Canada the fines for piracy are steep.
Do I agree with it, no not really but its still piracy, isf someone else was to help you from this board I would expect the Administrators to step in.
Besides with the way the markets are going Bill need s the money LOL

Thanks, I had a horrible idea that someone would say that.
Guess I had better give up with that one and go buy another copy.
Thanks anyway
Igor 056

looking around, it dows seem that you must keep the same make/model mb, or similar replacement from that manufacturer, igor. But then again, it does seem also that M$ makes exceptions and accepts other mbs in some cases. They make the rules, they enforce or bend them. As I said it is up to them.

This question has already been answered. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.