for some reason XP has suddenly decided it doesnt know where the CD-ROM and CD-RW drives are. it says "the drives are installed but windows failed to locate the hardware devices" plz help o_o

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

Does your bios detect the cd rom ?? on startup I mean.

bios? o_o i have not idea what happened but all i know is that the computer realizes there IS a CD-ROM and CD-RW drive but it cant do anything with it cause it apparently doesnt know WHERE the drives are. it says in the device manager "Windows successfully loaded the device driver for this hardware but cannot find the hardware device. (Code 41)" and i have no idea what to do o_x

do you have cd rom and cd-r drives simultaneously installed .... install only one of them and then try again.

i dont know how to install them o_x they worked before they just suddenly stopped for some reason. and im trying to figure out what to do to fix it. if i have to reinstall the drives then explain what i have to do plz x_x

Plug out one of them and start windows ... n see what happens. ..

but they are built into the tower O_o;

Cant you open your tower's cover and unplug one of the drives. ??

i suppose o_o; but what if that doesnt work?

and what if it works ... most probably you'll have a hardware conflict between the two devices ... see if it works.

and what if it works ... most probably you'll have a hardware conflict between the two devices ... see if it works.

no doubt it will:cool:

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.