Hi,

I NEED A QUICK ANSWER PLEASE!

I wish to buy a Hp laptop, the ZD 8000 customized. I went to Best Buy today and they had a lower end ZD 8000 for sale. A sales clerk informed me they could order a customized ZD 8000.

Before this I had visited the official HP website and customized a ZD 8000 for myself, the total price was $2199.00 with free shipping and no sales tax (I live in Washington state with a sales tax of 8.8%)

Now I informed the sales clerk at Best Buy what I wanted and he told me it would cost $2275.00 from the computer. I showed him the printed piece of paper of the same specs from the official HP online store and told him the price. He informed me to give him a minute and he would speak with his manager.

He returned and told me that they could not only match the $2199.00 price and NO TAX and a $85 gift card!

Is this too good to be true? I want to buy it from them however don’t understand what they get out of the deal? Also could they sell me something weaker and clam it has the parts I wanted?

I also told him before I was interested in the $350 3 yr warranty…..

I know the specs are written on the side of the laptop box itself officially by HP so if the seals are ok then…..

THANK YOU!!!!

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

"He returned and told me that they could not only match the $2199.00 price and NO TAX and a $85 gift card!

Is this too good to be true? I want to buy it from them however don’t understand what they get out of the deal? Also could they sell me something weaker and clam it has the parts I wanted?

I also told him before I was interested in the $350 3 yr warranty….."

To answer your ?'s, in my opinion...

No.

They're not paying HP $2199, and they'll likely make a profit on the warranty.

No! That's fraud!

First, when HP offers something on their site, it's the retail price agreed on by HP and the resellers. Retailers buy from manufacturers at deeper discount, depending on the size of the retailer. Let's assume Best Buy gets the laptops at 30% off retail. Then, they have quite a bit of room to play with. Individual retailers can undersell retail price, giving their own promotions or manufacturer initiated. The reverse is not true. The manufacturer, HP, can't undersell retail price. Seldom you would see HP changing prices on their site, unless it's a price drop in general and they're trying to get rid of the product.

First, when HP offers something on their site, it's the retail price agreed on by HP and the resellers. Retailers buy from manufacturers at deeper discount, depending on the size of the retailer. Let's assume Best Buy gets the laptops at 30% off retail. Then, they have quite a bit of room to play with. Individual retailers can undersell retail price, giving their own promotions or manufacturer initiated. The reverse is not true. The manufacturer, HP, can't undersell retail price. Seldom you would see HP changing prices on their site, unless it's a price drop in general and they're trying to get rid of the product.

yeah but if you complain at best buy enough they will give you a deal...years back i wanted to buy a 15" LCD and they said they had some instock, so i asked for one and they found out that they had none and the closest store that had one was 45 mins away...i complained and they ended up giving me a 17" for the price of a 15"....not a bad deal in my mind (its a sony btw)....moral of the story is find something to complain about when you go there and they will give you whatever you want within reason so that you dont get upset and make a sceen :cheesy:

The only thing I find hard to believe is that you are considering buying a HP computer .

yeah i agree...my sister tried to buy one once, got it home and it kept dieing on her...she returned it for a new one and it still was dieing...went dell and she had no problems. Ive got a dell laptop (x300) also and im loving it.

IMHO, IBM laptops are the best followed by Toshiba. This is from a reliability perspective. IBM is still pretty expensive so that leaves Toshiba. Dell, our company used to buy them and all they had was problems and since have switched to Toshiba.I have recently bought the new sattelite M40 with Centrino processor and it's great.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.