I am trying to do an Fdisk/format on my friend's laptop. There is no floppy drive available. Is there a way I can use the CD Rom to do the procedure? In the past I have always used a WIN98 Start up disk - am unsure how to proceed since no floppy drive present.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Regards,
Georgia

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

I am trying to do an Fdisk/format on my friend's laptop. There is no floppy drive available. Is there a way I can use the CD Rom to do the procedure? In the past I have always used a WIN98 Start up disk - am unsure how to proceed since no floppy drive present.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Regards,
Georgia

If you Are just trying to format and reload winxp ,just bootto the wixxp cd and format and reload winxp .
If you have a burner and NERO software you can create a bootcd using the content of the win98 boot floppy .in nero choose create bootcd and copy the content of the floppy to the cd and burn it ,it will boot computer just like a bootfloppy

I have tried to go into Recovery Console as well as Win XP Pro Setup utilizing the Win XP Pro disk - I get the following errors:

Trying to use Recovery Console the error is:
File \CMDCONS\ntkrnlmp.exe could not be loaded. The error code is 7
Setup cannot continue. Press any key to exit.

Trying to use Windows Setup the error is:
File \$WIN_NT$.~BT\ntkrnlmp.exe could not be loaded. The error code is 7. Setup cannot continue. Press any key to exit.

I have also tried to just do a fresh install using Win XP Cd but it will not finish loading....it goes to Preparing for install then shuts the computer down.

Any ideas??
Thanks,
Georgia

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.