I have a office live website set up and have been using the email for 3 yrs. Stopped using the site 2 yrs ago. I am going to shut the site down and assume I will loose my email as well when I do.

Does anyone know an easy way for me to save all my emails before I lose them all? I could go through one by one but I have several thousand and that would take forever.

Any ideas appreciated

Recommended Answers

All 23 Replies

Hi,
I have a question for you, QUOTE "have been using the email for 3 yrs. Stopped using the site 2 yrs ago." why do you want your old emails that you have not used in 2 years?

sir i have enough memory in slout but my computer is running slow some time hanging

Hi,
I have a question for you, QUOTE "have been using the email for 3 yrs. Stopped using the site 2 yrs ago." why do you want your old emails that you have not used in 2 years?

The website I created for a business on office live I stopped using 2 yrs ago. I still use the email as my personal email and have for 3 yrs

sir i have enough memory in slout but my computer is running slow some time hanging

I have the memory I just dont know how to copy all the emails so I can access them in the future without forwarding to a new email address

Hi again,
Unless someone here is using their email in windows office live web site i doubt anyone would know anything about that site. Try asking the administrators of that site how to download them. Sorry I can not be of more help.

G'day helpmeplease08 -

Dumb question time: is the email setup IMAP or POP3?

Try IMAPSize http://www.broobles.com/imapsize/ to fairly automatically synchronise multiple mailboxes. The synch may take some download time, but the benefits are there.

I don't know of a similar product for POP3. Which is annoying, 'cos my personal email is POP3 :icon_frown:

Gordon.

I have the memory I just dont know how to copy all the emails so I can access them in the future without forwarding to a new email address

that poster was actually in some good broken engilsh asking for help with his slow computer ,lol

are the emails saved on the web sit or on your computer ,what email program are you using

There are two posters, One asking for help with his email on windows office live website and another who jumped on this thread with no information other than his is slow and it hangs with enough memory.

Hi,
the following is fro the Windows Office live web site, if you want info on your emails follow the advice below:-

a. Go to http://support.live.com

b. Click the product you have a question about

c. Fill out the form and click Submit

that poster was actually in some good broken engilsh asking for help with his slow computer ,lol

are the emails saved on the web sit or on your computer ,what email program are you using

did a little looking since i posted this and you are just using a hotmail acct correct !
this might help ,
http://www.labnol.org/internet/email/move-mails-across-email-accounts/8419/

Hi,
the following is fro the Windows Office live web site, if you want info on your emails follow the advice below:-

a. Go to http://support.live.com

b. Click the product you have a question about

c. Fill out the form and click Submit

thx, I just sent them a message

thx, I just sent them a message

and i thought my link was better . lol

and i thought my link was better . lol

just looked at it, looks like you might be right..........last time I emailed them for help it took several days.....Ill try your link when I get home from work

thx

just looked at it, looks like you might be right..........last time I emailed them for help it took several days.....Ill try your link when I get home from work

thx

Ok, so I tried the programs you suggested but hit a snag on the POP server. Any ideas how I can identify the correct server?

I got a response from the Office Live help but they weren't any help they suggested I forward the emails I want one by one, but I have several thousand.

Hi,
I sound like a broken record, go back to windows office live and ask them how you can identify the correct server. If you were using Hotmail or similar, a lot of people here know how to get the information you need. But, I don't know anything about the system employed by office live to store your emails or how to retrieve them.
Question:- Why can't you leave them there (At windows office live) and access the site only when you need to access your emails. That way you will still have all your emails safe and accessibly.

Ok, so I tried the programs you suggested but hit a snag on the POP server. Any ideas how I can identify the correct server?

I got a response from the Office Live help but they weren't any help they suggested I forward the emails I want one by one, but I have several thousand.

is the email acct a hotmail acct or did you use an email acct from your internet service provider .

Hi,
I believe the domain part of his email address is @officelivemail.com

The Office Live Help people said they cant identify the server, which seems strange to me since they provide the service. Anyway the email is shane@qualityhomesolutions.org (qualityhomesolutions.org being the website)

If I right click on my email and view page source it shows a "mail.live.com" as the domain. I tried that and a few other variations of that listed on the page source code as the server, but know luck. I can paste that data if it will help

Thanks to everyone who is helping

Hi,
I sound like a broken record, go back to windows office live and ask them how you can identify the correct server. If you were using Hotmail or similar, a lot of people here know how to get the information you need. But, I don't know anything about the system employed by office live to store your emails or how to retrieve them.
Question:- Why can't you leave them there (At windows office live) and access the site only when you need to access your emails. That way you will still have all your emails safe and accessibly.

If I have to I will, but I don't use the site anymore and would like to stop paying for it.

Hi again,
I have not used a POP3 email service in a long time, but, if I remember correctly, when you setup an account you can import files and settings from another server. You could try setting up a new, even false, email address on outlook express and then try to import your settings and files from you other email account. It probably wont work but it is worth a try.

What you need to do is use a Email application like Outlook, Outlook Express, Windows Mail, Thunderbird etc.

Setup the Office live mail account as POP or IMAP.

Setup another account (Gmail?) where you would like to transfer the mail to on the same mail application.

Drag and drop the mail from the Office live account to the other account.

Try these instructions to set up a POP account for office live mail: http://www.geekpolice.net/tutorials-guides-f13/add-a-pop3-live-mail-account-to-outlook-2007-t14505.htm

Let us know if that worked.

What you need to do is use a Email application like Outlook, Outlook Express, Windows Mail, Thunderbird etc.

Setup the Office live mail account as POP or IMAP.

Setup another account (Gmail?) where you would like to transfer the mail to on the same mail application.

Drag and drop the mail from the Office live account to the other account.

Try these instructions to set up a POP account for office live mail: http://www.geekpolice.net/tutorials-guides-f13/add-a-pop3-live-mail-account-to-outlook-2007-t14505.htm

Let us know if that worked.

Both the last posts are exactly where I am stuck now. It is requiring the email server address, the transfer program assumes it is mail.qualityhomesolutions.org but it is not, so that is why I am trying to find out what it is. If it was a hotmail or similar it would probably work first try but something about it being tied to my website through the live mail service is causing me issues.

I am at a total loss because I know there must be a way to ID the server, but dont know how and the OL help staff say they don't know how

thanks again for all your input and help

Hi,
Well I can not offer any more suggestions. It soundsa like you have three choices,
1. Continue to pay for the site.
2. Download, 1 by 1 all the emails you want.
3. Lose all the emails.
Sorry I could not be of any more help.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.