I'm going to reformat soon and I was wondering whether or not to install the windows 7 RC instead of XP again, from what I've heard it's hugely better than XP and I've been reading up and I'm kind of swaying towards 7 but I just wanna know before I do anything; what's compatability with windows XP apps like? Especially games, Will I be able to run most things I can now on XP in 7 ( for example, Visual C++, ArmA2)?
And would you say it's stable enough to run as primary OS?

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

all i can say is its only beta ,and not meant to be you main OS yet ,unless you want to have to find drivers for this and drivers for that , I installed it on a second computer i have and no drivers for my video, my usb wireless device and a few more ,like what it did other wise though ,

install it as a scound os...use it

I wouldn't say it's "better", but it does seem to be very stable and driver/program support is excellent.
That said, I expect dual-booting is the way to go, as it will expire next year.

Aye, I wouldn't normally even consider installing an os in such early stages but I had heard very good things about it, well I guess I'll stick with XP for now then, thanks all :)

as stated already ,the beta version will expire June 2010,it will start shutting down every 2 hrs in April 2010 so really not much sense install it as a main OS on your main computers hard drive ,but if you wanted to play with it you could always add a second hard drive and install it on that ! and try it out

as stated already ,the beta version will expire June 2010,it will start shutting down every 2 hrs in April 2010 so really not much sense install it as a main OS on your main computers hard drive ,but if you wanted to play with it you could always add a second hard drive and install it on that ! and try it out

Just a correction...

Windows 7 Beta will expire August 1st 2009 & will start to shut down every 2 hours starting July 1st 2009.

Windows 7 RC (Release Candidate) will expire on June 1st 2010 & will begin to shut down every 2 hours starting on March 1st 2010.

@OP: It is sort of pointless installing it as your main OS as when you upgrade to the retail it has to be a clean install which means re-installing all your programs & so on again, although that is your choice to make! :)

The retail version arrives on October 22nd, it's better to simply wait for that, during July - August there is a special offer where you can pre-order Windows 7 for a cut down price from Microsoft & partner retailers.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.