I am NOT a expert on the computer! I AM familiar with MS config..who can tell me what should be checked on STARTUP and what should not., I dont want un necessary stuff running yet I dont want to make a major problem by un checking too many things! I would like to know about SERVICE and STARTUP..

VS a machine with XP, the Vista is on the same network & seems much slower..

Can anyone help & explain...Yes I do remove temp files & de frag!

Ty

Recommended Answers

All 15 Replies

RAM, CPU speed and disk RPM are the three factors affecting load times as much as what to load.

Rather than keeping it vague which makes our replies vague, you should do the following:

1/
Tell us your configuration on VISTA bearing in mind what I've said above.

2/
Tell us what's in your start up list.

3/
Is your XP system the same RAM and CPU power and disk RPM as the Vista? Like for like is a good principle.

I am NOT a expert on the computer! I AM familiar with MS config..who can tell me what should be checked on STARTUP and what should not., I dont want un necessary stuff running yet I dont want to make a major problem by un checking too many things! I would like to know about SERVICE and STARTUP..

VS a machine with XP, the Vista is on the same network & seems much slower..

Can anyone help & explain...Yes I do remove temp files & de frag!

Ty

Is your Vista PC setup as a wireless connection and the XP is the Host?
If this is your setup, then Vista will be slower.
As far as start-up programs in "msconfig", the only programs that should start with Windows would be any Anti-virus, Spyware and Firewall programs.
For running processes/services give this a careful read;
http://www.blackviper.com/

RAM, CPU speed and disk RPM are the three factors affecting load times as much as what to load.

Rather than keeping it vague which makes our replies vague, you should do the following:

1/
Tell us your configuration on VISTA bearing in mind what I've said above.

2/
Tell us what's in your start up list.

If I list the portion of what is on the LEFT hand side of this will it help you?

3/
Is your XP system the same RAM and CPU power and disk RPM as the Vista? Like for like is a good principle.

I dont know how to compare, can you advise where I find this information?

Let me try to list the start up menu CURRENTLY 8 items

1) Flexnet Macrovision corp

2) HD Audio Control Panel

3) NVIDIA MEDIA CENTER LIBRARY

4) NVIDIA DISP DRIVER

5) DISACTIVATE ?

6) SUPPORT SOFT

7) ADOBEE READER

8) DIGITAL LINE DETECTOR

MY SYSTEM BETWEEN THE TWO COMPUTERS IS WIRED

This, I wouldn't concern yourself with, as there are too many variables.
You could have a Vista machine with less RAM and smaller processor and it could still out-perform a XP and vice-versa.

A wired configuration is good. More secure.

Try this;
Click, Start/Run and type in "msconfig" (without quotes), hit enter,
Click on "StartUp" tab
You will see a list of programs that load/start with Windows.
(As stated in my previous post, most programs are unneeded to start with Windows, you only need Security programs to start with Windows.)
Uncheck any programs that you deem unnecessary.
Click "Apply" "OK" and close/Exit without restart.
Download and install this little program (it's free); http://www.get-in-control.com/msconfig-cleanup/ . Run this to cleanup the programs you unchecked in msconfig.
Also, most programs have in their "Options/Preferences" whether to run at startup or not. The 8 programs you have listed should have those options and this will prevent them from reappearing in msconfig.
"Optional" Download/Install (Uncheck the option to install the Yahoo Toolbar) this program (It's also free and safe) http://www.iobit.com/advancedwindowscareper.html
Open the program, click on "Options" in "General Setting" uncheck the 3 boxes in "General" next, click on "Registry Fix" right side all should be checked,
next, click on "Privacy Sweep", make sure all boxes are checked for all browsers that are listed, stop at the last browser listed, next click on "Junk Files Clean" in "Scan For" check all 3. Click "OK"
Now, click on the "Functions" tab and check all 4 functions and at the bottom click on "Scan", (it will ask if you want to back up, click yes) when scanning is complete click on "Repair", when done, close.
IOBIT also has a great Defrag tool which you can download from the same link.
Now defrag your system and restart.

Here is another good free program to control "Running Processes" and improve system stability and responsiveness; It's called "Process Lasso"
http://download.cnet.com/Process-Lasso/3000-2094_4-10823362.html
You can also disable a few services that are unneeded, as my previous post; http://www.blackviper.com/ and read through it carefully.

This, I wouldn't concern yourself with, as there are too many variables.

You could have a Vista machine with less RAM and smaller processor and it could still out-perform a XP and vice-versa.

Disagree - partly. The second sentence above is quite correct. The first sentence I dispute.

To form a balanced view, one does need the CPU/RAM/Disk information to set off against the startup list. RAM makes an enormous difference if the startup list is the same. CPU speed, if the difference is not enormous (or should I add CPU type) helps clarify answers. Disk RPM is a third factor if the other two are the same.

See what I mean?

Disagree - partly. The second sentence above is quite correct. The first sentence I dispute.

To form a balanced view, one does need the CPU/RAM/Disk information to set off against the startup list. RAM makes an enormous difference if the startup list is the same. CPU speed, if the difference is not enormous (or should I add CPU type) helps clarify answers. Disk RPM is a third factor if the other two are the same.

See what I mean?

RAM, maybe, I'll give you that, but, CPU and especially Disk RPM, no.
The average PC user will not see any drastic improvement in speed between CPU and again, especially Disk RPM.
As an example: http://www.realworldtech.com/page.cfm?ArticleID=RWT061801032003
Reducing the amount of unneeded programs that start with Windows and unnecessary services/processes running in the background will improve the overall speed/load time as with increasing memory. Also keeping up in maintaining the performance with regular disk cleanup, defragmenting and other methods as I mentioned will also help. Regular Malware/Spyware scans and Anti-Virus scans will also help.
The OP is concerned with their Service & Startup programs, which is what I'm trying to help with by reducing those items and by doing so will increase the speed/load time no matter what your CPU and Disk RPM is.
Another example to dispute your dispute, is mine;
My system, which is my 3rd build over the last 5 years;
ASUS/P5GC-MX/1333
Intel Dual-Core E5200 @ 2500 MHz
4Gb Corsair Dual Channel CM2X2048-6400C5
ATI Radeon HD3450 SB 512Mb w/HD Digital Sound
Maxtor DM17 160Gb SATAI 1.5 7200rpm
Maxtor DM21 160Gb SATAII 1.5/3.0 7200rpm
Seagate Barracuda 250Gb SATAII 3.0 7200rpm
LiteOn DVDRW
Multi-Boot, Vista Ultimate SP2, Windows7Ultimate x86/x64

My laptop is a Dell Inspiron 1525:
Genuine Windows Vista®Ultimate SP2 32-Bit
Intel Pentium Dual Core CPU T2390 @ 1.86GHz, 1.87 Mhz,
3Gb's Dual Channel 800MHz DDR2 SDRAM.
Intel® Cantiga GM45 Chipset
Intel® Integrated Graphics Media Accelerator 4500MHD
15.6" Widescreen XGA (1366x768)
Intel High Definition Audio 2.0
160 Gb 5400 RPM SATA hard drive
DVD+/-RW with Dual Layer DVD+R write capability
Blu-Ray/CD/DVD Combo Drive

Now as you can see, the laptop has 1gig less memory and the Disk RPM is 5400 and a smaller processor.
Both systems have the same amount of programs (which is 3), the same programs that start with Windows.
The same amount of running processes, which is 39
The same programs installed excluding the drivers and software for each system.
The laptop is also on a wireless configuration, yet the laptop is much faster, no matter what OS I boot to in my desktop.
Now, I'm not a computer expert by any means, learn something new everyday, so, sorry, I fail to see what you mean.

Regards, Don

Some added information on "How To Speed Up Windows" which BTW does not show any relevant info on RAM, CPU or Disk RPM.

http://www.microsoft.com/atwork/maintenance/speed.aspx

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/expert/northrup_restoreperf.mspx

http://www.wikihow.com/Speed-Up-a-Slow-Windows-Computer-for-Free

http://www.ezdia.com/How_to_make_browsing_faster/Content.do?id=654

These are just a few, just Google "How to speed up windows",
""Speed up a slow computer" and so-on and they will all basically say the same thing I've said.

@Adamsappleone

First, let me say that the advice you are providing to the OP is entirely valid and I'm not challenging that, especially the stuff I omitted (defragmentation etc).

Second, on disk RPM, seeing as you gave me RAM, I can concede that point to some extent. With my eye for detail, when everything else is equal, disk RPM is an important performance factor. But then everything else isn't equal as your example shows.

Your illustration is instructive. It tells us that comparisons only on the same machine type and configuration can be meaningful.

If you've got several drives, there's boot activity associated with that. Different drivers associated with different equipment have different load characteristics - perhaps not much but it all adds up.

What I can guarantee is that on two identically configured PCs, save for CPU power, the faster PC will boot soonest. CPU does matter and is one of the variables.

Anyway, the OP can make sound progress by reducing startup stuff as you've suggested to the minimum needed to do purposeful stuff.

Third

Yeah i must agree with Suspishio that it can make a big difference in performnance if you have, say, a 5200 rpm drive compared to a 7200 rpm drive. This is not very noticable usually, but if you are doing a lot of disk intensive operations (e.g logging, hence why servers have high speed disks) or swapping, then it can make a difference (this is why if you dont have much ram and therefore swap a lot on a laptop it always seems significantly slower to the user than the same scenario on a desktop, which would have a faster drive).

My main tips:

reduce startup programs. if its an OEM installed system it will come bundled with so much crap. You will notice that vista runs 2-3 times faster on a clean end-user install, due to this.

Also, reduce unnecessary effects and buy more ram (2gb is what i recommend - don't need more than 2.5 or 3 unless you are into heavy video editing or a gamer) and most importantly, get a decent video card. You will notice vista will be much faster if you upgrade from, say a crappy intel integrated solution, to a low end Nvidia card (something like an 8400, which can be picked up for very cheap) will provide a speed boost.

Where do I find out the information on RAM, ect? I dont know where to find this? Also, how do I know the additional programs listed in the thread will not do damage to my system? Those listed to clean ms config ect....

I dont know, I just like XP...maybe we can make progress..Guys thanks for the help.

To check how much ram you have, and what type, use the memory scanner on Crucial Memory , its a good website. Can order from there too.

Where do I find out the information on RAM, ect? I dont know where to find this? Also, how do I know the additional programs listed in the thread will not do damage to my system? Those listed to clean ms config ect....

I dont know, I just like XP...maybe we can make progress..Guys thanks for the help.

first let me say we do not recommend program that will harm your computer.
as for cpu-z install it and go to SPD section along the top.and it will give you the info on the ram,click slot#1 to change from one slot to another to check to see ram in all slots

where is CRUTIAL MEMORY??? +

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.