I will be upgrading my processor in a while and I'm wondering if the change of CPU will force me to activate XP again just like when you upgrade mobo.

Last time that happened was horrible. I ended up having to move all my stuff to a temp HDD then reinstall XP, then move back all stuff and install programs, and..., etc. IT WAS HORRIBLE

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

That question is like "how long is a piece of string?" sometimes when you do work to your PC Windows want to be activated again and then other times it just works. I think the main thing is how close to the original the modification is. If you use a similar CPU it may be OK.
I have replaced a part on one PC and had no problem, then replaced the same part on another PC and Windows needed to be activated again.
While it is a pain, a backup of your data is always recommended when doing any major work on your PC. If you have another drive the same size, there are plenty of free programs on the net that will allow you to copy an image of your drive to another and back again. (Only a few will allow from and to a different size drive.)

if it have to reactivate ,you simply call microsoft and explain the chang and they will give you a new activation key ,no need to rteinstall windows to do this .i have done this to my maching coultless times because i use to use it as ameants to test cps from customers computer ,have reactvated my winxp several times

This installation was obtained from my old high school so it has a academic license (or something like that). Can I or they get in trouble?

This installation was obtained from my old high school so it has a academic license (or something like that). Can I or they get in trouble?

If it legit they [MICROSOFT]will know ,when you call to activate it ,if you need to !microsoft will just tell you it not ok, they will not rush out and arrest you. lol

If you're upgrading from Intel to Intel or AMD to AMD, you shouldn't have a problem. Just do the change and start your machine, your OS will pick up the new hardware and install as needed.

If in the event, you do need to re-activate, (which I doubt, I have done it many times) just follow caperjack's suggestion about calling M$ and they should issue another key.

Usually there is no problem that I came across only if you change motherboard with different chip set.

Good info. Thanks guys. (not sarcastic; I said thanks once and some guy accused me of being sarcastic)
I feel more confident with this upgrade now

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.