Hi Everyone I could really use some help. My isp is earthlink and i have used them for 2 years with a dialup connection. A week ago my system was really lagging badly on the internet and when i looked at my connection speed to earthlink (my isp) i saw that i was connected at 19.2 kbps. I have always connected in the past at 46.8 kbps or 49.2 kbps. I went to my modem manufacturers website and installed the latest drivers then i replaced the phone line connecting me to the phone jack (about 6 feet). Still only connecting at 19.2 kbps i went to earthlinks tech support and after trying 3 different initialization strings which we added to my modem properties i was still only connecting at 19.2 kbps.Earthlink has only one access number in my area code so i couldnt try a different isp access number either. I did a line test to see if i was having line problems but that too was ok. Which brings me to today. When i logged onto my isp this morning i was only connecting at 16.8 kbps and is now continuing to connect at only 16.8 kbps. I have used some utility tools and they all determined that my modem is working properly with no conflicts. ANY HELP WOULD BE GREAT!!!!!

Win 2k pro
Amd Athlon thunderbird
80 g maxtor hd
256 sdram
Agere Win 56k modem

Thanks Anyone for your suggestions and im sorry this was so long winded
fourbysara

id suggest contacting your ISP as its somthing on their end

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.