Hi there,
I am working on a Emachines EL1200 desktop system with a Realtek HD Audio sound card.
The computer had some trojans and other malware on it I was able to remove with the assistance of AVG and MalwareBytes Antimalware. Now the machine will only play sound if you are playing a audio file from the computer itself. It will not play any sounds from the web, IE: Youtube vidoes show but no audio, game audio does not work, ....
If I DL a video to the computer it will play in Media Player.
Also I can't edit any driver settings or change any of the Windows default sounds, when I try I can't play the sounds, even though they are there.
I tried un-installing and re-installing the driver software all to no avail.
I am thinking that the "sound manager" software from Realtek is corrupted and won't allow windows sound controls to work.

Does anybody have any ideas what I can do to resolve this??
I was thinking of disabling the onboard sound and installing a generic sound card!?!?!?

Thanks in advance.

IKE

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Hi,
Go to the site for Ultimate Boot CD, read all about it and download.
1. Run the program and make a Boot CD from the ISO.
2. Use that CD to boot your computer.
3. Before you run any other program in UBCD, I recommend that you run a virus scan and malwarebytes to remove all viruses that hide or can not be removed when Windows is running.
An Ultimate Boot CD for Windows is a bootable recovery CD that contains software used for repairing, restoring, or diagnosing almost any computer problem. Use the link below to download a customized ISO file of the Ultimate Boot CD for Windows. A CD-ROM created from this ISO file will be a bootable disk containing a myriad of diagnostics and utilities. The software contained on the Ultimate Boot CD for Windows is either freeware or has been designed "for personal use only". Check the site for all the different software that is included on the CD and if necessary, instructions on how to use that software. Assuming there is no hardware problem with your computer, you will be able to go on-line and update any program or locate other software (drivers etc)
Click here for the official Ultimate Boot CD for Windows website: http://www.ubcd4win.com/
If you don’t know how to burn a CD with an ISO file, check the site, there are detailed instructions there on using several different burning programs.

I already have a Copy of UBCD4Win and use it occasionally.
I will try booting the machine to this and see if it can find any other malware on it.

THanks for the idea.

Ike

Hey Bob,

OK I tried booting to the UBCD4Win and cleaing the machine up.
I created a new disk, and updated what I could of the Malware programs. I ran every scanner on the disk, after updating the databases, and didn't find anything except for some tracking cookies.
The sound still won't work fromthe web and I still can't windows sounds for actions, IE: error, windows log on, windows log off,....

Another issue is that it won't allow me to update the drivers from within the sound hardware tab. if I right click on an item it says I don't have permission to update or install drivers, but this is the ADMIN account that I am in and I can't figure out what is going on.
I Tried to go into GPEDIT.msc and edit the policies, but this is Home and it doesn't have GPEDIT.msc, so that is not an option.

ANy help would be GREATLY APPRECIATED.

IKE

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.