I am trying to delete a file I downloaded on Bearshare. And i don't share any files. And i am trying to delete Mr & Mrs. Smith. avi file but they say it is in use. but it is not. Can sombody help me get around the message which says it in use. plese help.

Recommended Answers

All 13 Replies

have you tried deleting the file in safe mode?

i know it has worked for me sometimes when i get something off Ares P2P..

how do u get to safe mode?

To get into the Windows 2000 / XP Safe mode, as the computer is booting press and hold your "F8 Key" which should bring up the "Windows Advanced Options Menu" as shown below. Use your arrow keys to move to "Safe Mode" and press your Enter key. note: you'll need to do this BEFORE you see the windows logo.. i believe this is also the same if you are running Windows 95 or 98/ME as well..

Once you are in safe mode, try to delete the file, and if its sucsessful, then shut down and restart your computer, it should boot to normal mode by itself.. then you can check and see if the file is gone, if its not, you may have a virus or other problem more serious..

hope this helps!!

PXB

I have the same problem and tried deleting in safe mode but still the same problem. Nortons doesn't see anything wrong with it. You can't rename, move it .... just says it's in use. Can't even view the properties.. nothing happens.

I have the same problem and tried deleting in safe mode but still the same problem. Nortons doesn't see anything wrong with it. You can't rename, move it .... just says it's in use. Can't even view the properties.. nothing happens.

I just got rid of it!!!!!!

Create another user account, reboot in safemode using the new account then delete it. Wollahhh!!

I hope it works for others :lol:

Usually when a file is in use and you're using a p2p prog, some one else is trying to d/l it off of you. But yeah, rebooting into safe mode works most of the time when trying to delete a file.

just renooting windows will do it for most .inuse usually means it still in memory from when you opened it to view it ,

I just got rid of it!!!!!!

Create another user account, reboot in safemode using the new account then delete it. Wollahhh!!

I hope it works for others :lol:

Had the same problem with Mr. and Mrs. Smith.avi, so I created a new account on XP, booted up in safe mode, and that junk-ass file still won't delete. It's evil. :twisted:

Anyone else know? I even tried deleting it thru DOS, but the damn thing still wouldn't leave.

Frustrated. :mad:

Had the same problem with Mr. and Mrs. Smith.avi, so I created a new account on XP, booted up in safe mode, and that junk-ass file still won't delete. It's evil. :twisted:

Anyone else know? I even tried deleting it thru DOS, but the damn thing still wouldn't leave.

Frustrated. :mad:

Take ownership of the file:

In safe mode login as Administrator and do the following:

1.Right click on the file and choose Properties
2.Click Security on the top
3.Click Advanced
4.Click Owner
5.Click Administrators
6.Apply all changes and try to delete the file again.

If it can't delete it please tell me the specific error that you get from this commands.

Take ownership of the file:

In safe mode login as Administrator and do the following:

1.Right click on the file and choose Properties
2.Click Security on the top
3.Click Advanced
4.Click Owner
5.Click Administrators
6.Apply all changes and try to delete the file again.

If it can't delete it please tell me the specific error that you get from this commands.

I have very little experience with WinXP, because I'm among the fast-dying breed of Win98 fans. Thank you for your help, but I'll admit I didn't see your response before I finally deleted that piece of crap file. I deleted the FOLDER it was in, rather than right clicking on the file itself and trying to delete it that way. Seems like as soon as I approached this actual file with the mouse, it would pretend to be in use. What causes that exactly? A person with too much time on their hands or just a computer gliche?? I've seen this happen with movie files before but could never figure it out.

Thanks again ;)

Hey everyone,

I downloaded this file from limewire, and i cant delete it, it takes a stronger hold for the longer you have it.

When i realised this file probably wasn't best to hang onto, in tried to delete it, which didn't work so i logged into 'Administrator' in safe mode, and deleted it there. Unfortunately, this went to the recycle bin, and now wont delete from there, or restore, or anything else for that matter. I cant delete it! please help! I cant find the recycle bin for 'Administrator' anywhere but in the 'Admin' user account. Is there no way to just blast the recycle bin in that account?

thanks

Boggis26 :S

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.