I removed a virus from my system and now certain application (.exe) files will not run. I get a dialog box that says "Windows cannot open this file: FILEname.exe To open file Windows needs to know what create it.." This only happens with some .exe files. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks... Ronnie

Recommended Answers

All 12 Replies

try downloading exefix

Thanks, it did not work.

I do not think that this is resulting from a problem with windows per se. That error msg comes from shell32.dll which shows that it iss trying to handle your exe file. Some programs place many entries in the registry concerned with their opening, when you initiate a program explorer searches many keys checking for possible entries; perhaps some are missing or corrupted.
May I suggest that you reinstall a failing software and see if it then runs correctly?

Thanks... My problem is that I cannot install the programs. Also, some WINDOWs programs (i.e., reedit) will not run from "mycomputer" or from the command line but will run from a third party shell. I tried to do a resote and the restore program would not work. Is there away to check if the shell32.dll is corrupt? Thanks...Ronnie

It may be more than just shell32.dll, but the easiest way to replace that is to just open an explorer window to system32, and rename shell32.dll to.. oh... shell32old.dll
Windows should copy in from its store a new shell32.dll within a few seconds. [You may need to jolt it by eg. opening another explorer window]. You will not be able to delete the renamed file until you restart your sys, at which time Windows will be using the new shell32.dll file.
It may also pay to run ...
sfc /scannow
-the sys will request your XP installation cd. This will check the integrity of many windows protected files.

I had a problem like this the other day with an XP Pro machine. I had to clean some viruses off of it. The virus did some serious damage to the system file associations. You couldn't even open Notepad or Command Prompt. I logged into the Administrator account and noticed that the file associations were still intact. So I saved all the important files to C:\, deleted the other user account and created a new user account. All the file associations were there -- everything working good now.

It looks like the virus damaged the MBR. When I check the District it shows MBR in to sectors. I tried Window's fixMBR from the repair CD and that did not work. I can't get the restore to work so I can't go back. Although, the fixMBR went back about two weeks it still did not fix the problem. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Ronnie

Fixmbr does not repair the partition table in the MBR, all it does is rewrite the code section with M$ standard code.
What do you mean, you found the MBR in two sectors? It must be in the first sector of a disk, before any partitions. It cannot be split, or it would not be found to be readable. [You cannot have a GUID and XP]. Further, you booted into your OS, so the MBR and partition table were read and correct.
Your Active AV should detect any virus and repair your MBR. So, you are in Windows... the MBR has been read and partitions noted; it is done with. Your problem is solely with the OS, and my guessing is pointless.
How about you run these and post the logs:
==Please download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
from: http://www.majorgeeks.com/Malwarebytes_Anti-Malware_d5756.html
or: http://www.besttechie.net/tools/mbam-setup.exe
=Dclick that file, mbam-setup.exe, to install the application,
-ensure that it is set to update and start, else start it via the icon, and UPDATE it.
Select "Perform QUICK Scan", then click Scan; the application will guide you through the remaining steps.
ENSURE that EVERYTHING found has a CHECKMARK against it, then click Remove Selected.
If malware has been found [and removed] MBAM will automatically produce a log for you when it completes... do not click the Save Logfile button.
Examine the log: if some files are listed as Delete on Reboot then restart your machine before continuing.
Copy and post that log [it is also saved under Logs tab in MBAM].
==download hijackthis: http://www.majorgeeks.com/download5554.html
-copy it to a new FOLDER placed either alongside your program files or on your desktop and then...
-in that folder start HijackThis by dclicking the .exe
-CLOSE ALL OTHER APPLICATIONS and any open windows including the explorer window containing HijackThis.
-click the Scan and Save a Logfile button. Post the log here.

Thanks... I ran MBAM and it said there were no malicious files. Ronnie

Do you still have your original problem with some exe files not running, Ronnie?

Thanks, its been fixed.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.