I am not sure if i am posting this in the right place but here goes...

How do i ghost an image of xp so that i can use it in different system with different kind of hard disk(brand), motherboard, cpu and ram.
The program i am familiar with to ghost and clone harddisk is norton ghost. So please could someone list a step by step on how to do this.
System spec of the mother system i will be using is:
CPU P4 3.0 Prescott
MB Asus P4P800d-x
RAM DDR 1 200mhz 1gb
HDD1 Seagate SATA 80gb
HDD2 Seagate IDE 80gb
VGA nVidia GF 6600gt 512mb

(i know quite old :P)

gonna be dealing with windows xp professional service pack 3

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=how+to+use+norton+ghost

You'll get better results if you enter which version of Ghost you are using.

My two cents...Using an old disk image on new hardware is going to give you grief. You're better off doing a clean installation on the new hardware and then migrating your files/info to the new system. You'll need to reinstall your applications too. It may seem like more work but I'm sure you'll have less headaches.

well thanks then
i think i will go for a reinstall
by the way i was looking for a little advise on how to get a job done quickly on formatting a new computer and installing all the necessary software. i usually take 2 and half to 3 hours on doing that. Am i slow or is this the average time?

well thanks then
i think i will go for a reinstall
by the way i was looking for a little advise on how to get a job done quickly on formatting a new computer and installing all the necessary software. i usually take 2 and half to 3 hours on doing that. Am i slow or is this the average time?

For Win XP and apps that sounds about right. It takes a bit longer (than restoring a ghost image) but with new hardware I think you'll find the end result is worth it.

why would you want to do that; just install to your new/old P

Curiosity and like to try different stuff:P

for a normal hardware, installing xp 45 minutes, and finding your drivers and other programs the rest of the time.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.