I'm running Windows XP in a VMWare Fusion image on a Mac. Last night something mysterious happened and this morning the machine was unexpectedly powered off. When I brought it up the Mac OS booted fine, but when I launch Windows, I get errors -

winlogon.exe - bad image
shell32.dll is not a valid windows image, restore original ...

lsass.exe - bad image
shell32.dll is not a valid windows image, restore original ...

msgina.dll failed to load
restart

I've tried booting from CD and running chkdsk /r. I've tried restoring backup images of my VMware image. I've tried fixboot. No luck.

Help!

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

I solved it! I found x:\i386\shell32.dl_ on the install CD. From the recovery console, I was able to expand it, rename the old, replace it with the new, reboot, and I'm back in business. Hope this helps some future frustrated person.

I solved it! I found x:\i386\shell32.dl_ on the install CD. From the recovery console, I was able to expand it, rename the old, replace it with the new, reboot, and I'm back in business. Hope this helps some future frustrated person.

Ok, So don't just leave Your thread hanging there mark it solved so we know You are serious. Thank You. Later---

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.