i recently encountered a strange error with my computer, everytime i turn it on it it comes up with a black screen that has the option of entering the bios menu and booting from the network, ive tried going to both of those and they dont work and it comes up with the error message 162-system options not set and then when it goes away a blue box comes up saying power-on password? Can someone please help me solve this problem and get my computer working again. Thanks in advance :/

i recently encountered a strange error with my computer, everytime i turn it on it it comes up with a black screen that has the option of entering the bios menu and booting from the network, ive tried going to both of those and they dont work and it comes up with the error message 162-system options not set and then when it goes away a blue box comes up saying power-on password? Can someone please help me solve this problem and get my computer working again. Thanks in advance :/

What kind of computer do you have; I mean the brand.
Try to shut down your computer, cut the power off,
restart it with F10, or F1 button pressed,
(that depends on the brand, could be also the DEL button),
to force to ENTER BIOS, and after you enter BIOS highlight
the line says "LOAD BIOS-DEFAULT" and hit ENTER.
Reboot

its a HP Compaq d530 Small Form Factor Desktop PC. When ever i press F10 it just says error 162-system options not set and then shows the power on password screen

its a HP Compaq d530 Small Form Factor Desktop PC. When ever i press F10 it just says and then shows the power on password screen

HP has a standard procedure to do thisa.

A. Press and hold for 5 seconds the power button to
turn off your PC.

Press and hold F10 button while you push power button to turn ON the PC.
(Press AND HOLD F10, THEN HIT power button)
C. Release F10 button after you see some text on screen.

When you in BIOS, SET BIOS DEFAULT

If above didn't work ,contact with HP technical suport to schedule
a repair.

Of cource if we knew what changes you made on your PC , you could repair it from yourself,
except if you tried ΒIOS update, and update went bad.

HP has a standard procedure to do thisa.

A. Press and hold for 5 seconds the power button to
turn off your PC.

Press and hold F10 button while you push power button to turn ON the PC.
(Press AND HOLD F10, THEN HIT power button)
C. Release F10 button after you see some text on screen.

When you in BIOS, SET BIOS DEFAULT

If above didn't work ,contact with HP technical suport to schedule
a repair.

Of cource if we knew what changes you made on your PC , you could repair it from yourself,
except if you tried ΒIOS update, and update went bad.

I tried that and it doesn't go into the settings, it just pauses and then shows the error message for like 2 seconds and then shows a blue box saying power on password.

I tried that and it doesn't go into the settings, it just pauses and then shows the error message for like 2 seconds and then shows a blue box saying power on password.

Do you ever set a password to ENTER BIOS;
If yes, thyen try to remember it,

If not,or if you CAN'T remember it
you need to remove RTC baterry from motherboad,
OR USE JUMPERS TO RESET BIOS.
That mean you need to remove the back cover from your laptop
and remove the RTC battery, is a battery look like a coin,
or use the jumper on your motherboard to reset it.
If you don't know how to do that, then you need to ask technical support from ΗP.

Do you ever set a password to ENTER BIOS;
If yes, thyen try to remember it,

If not,or if you CAN'T remember it
you need to remove RTC baterry from motherboad,
OR USE JUMPERS TO RESET BIOS.
That mean you need to remove the back cover from your laptop
and remove the RTC battery, is a battery look like a coin,
or use the jumper on your motherboard to reset it.
If you don't know how to do that, then you need to ask technical support from ΗP.

I did that and it still asks me for the power on password

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.