My sister has a windows vista machine and I have a windows 7. I want to connect remotely to her machine because she has a viruses, and I helped her track it to 'ave.exe' which is some trojan that edits registry values, starts itself when you start another process, won't let you open System restore, etc.

What software can I use to connect remotely? I couldn't figure out how to use "Remote Desktop Connection" - the one that ships with Windows. Both my sister and I have "allow remote connections" enabled through our System, but I don't know how she can set up her PC so that I can connect to her, despite reading a tutorial on it. Also, if anyone knows this information, I know her IP address via "ipconfig" so connecting that way is preferable (if it is possible).

Thanks

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

Try teamviewer. There is a free version and it is pretty easy to use.

Malwarebytes is one of the best of its kind. Can't comment on CCleaner.

ccleaner is ok program to i use it all the time

Teamviewer is probably the easiest for remote control..
Yes I can agree that Malwarebytes is one of the best anti-malware programs and that it's legit.. it will most likely clean her PC, if you can get it installed (some trojans prevent it installing & running).
Ccleaner is also good, I have used it on hundreds of PC's to clean out temp files etc..

Remote Desktop is disabled by default in Windows 7 or Vista, but it’s easy enough to turn it back on. If you need to access your Vista PC from another box, it’s an essential thing to turn on.
To get to the configuration page, you can either right-click the Computer icon and choose properties, or you can type in system into the start menu search box, and then find the entry for System.
Now you’ll want to click the Remote Settings link on the left hand side:
Now you can finally turn it on:
To connect from another Vista / Win7 PC on the same network, click the bottom radio button. If you need to connect from an XP/2k machine, click the “Allow connections from computers running any version of Remote Desktop” radio button.
Don’t worry about setting up firewall rules, Vista or Windows 7 does that for you

Remote Desktop is disabled by default in Windows 7 or Vista, but it’s easy enough to turn it back on. If you need to access your Vista PC from another box, it’s an essential thing to turn on.
To get to the configuration page, you can either right-click the Computer icon and choose properties, or you can type in system into the start menu search box, and then find the entry for System.
Now you’ll want to click the Remote Settings link on the left hand side:
Now you can finally turn it on:
To connect from another Vista / Win7 PC on the same network, click the bottom radio button. If you need to connect from an XP/2k machine, click the “Allow connections from computers running any version of Remote Desktop” radio button.
Don’t worry about setting up firewall rules, Vista or Windows 7 does that for you

I already did all that, but I was wondering how I'm actually supposed to connect to my sister's machine. When I entered her IP address it just didn't do anything. I guess I'll use better software or software that I understand instead. Btw, if anyone needs this in the future, the steps I took to get rid of the virus were as follows:

http://www.malwarehelp.org/ave-exe-a-multiple-rogues-in-one-trojan-fakerean-2010.html

Except in step 1 that is listed there, before you run the registry file that he suggests, you should make a backup of your registry by opening regedit and using file-> export. Then save a backup of your registry, preferably on a flash drive or something. Also, if it won't let you change the file to type ".reg" on the file he tells you to download, you're going to need to open up "Folder Options" in the Control Panel and uncheck "hide filename extensions". This will let you change the extension to whatever you want, then you can make it a ".reg" extension and it'll change the icon. Then double click it to run.

If possible, you should also create a System Restore point before you make changes to the registry, but the virus ave.exe might not allow you to use system restore functions.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.