I installed some additional memory last week because the desktop computer moved slowly. Now, the monitor shows black. I've hooked the computer to two different monitors and get the same result. It is an emachines computer, and I have taken the new memory out, but the monitor still doesn't work. It's like the monitor isn't connected to the PC, but the monitor works when connected to another PC.
I've turned off the PC, disconnected and waited for days, but the PC will turn on, make a few clicking noises, and continue to run without the monitor changing. Right now, nothing is connected to the PC besides the monitor.
Any suggestions?

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

First try another monitor, preferably an LCD, and check the manual of the motherboard, it may not support the amount of memory you installed; hey nothing personally but it's an eMachine. it may only support op to 1.2 gb. and besides make sure that the memory you installed is also compatible with the board. good luck.

mdk2k4,
Thanks for your reply, but I've already tried another monitor (LCD) which didn't help. Plus, I took out the new memory and left in the memory that came with the PC, and still no change. Any other suggestions?

First try another monitor, preferably an LCD, and check the manual of the motherboard, it may not support the amount of memory you installed; hey nothing personally but it's an eMachine. it may only support op to 1.2 gb. and besides make sure that the memory you installed is also compatible with the board. good luck.

Try reseting the BIOS, CMOS and see if it help, just make sure you change all the setting on your first boot. Look for any loose or not plug wires in the motherboard. What i would also do, is check that memory in another pc see if it's good.

Check your BIOS settings for AGP/PCI video

Try reseting the BIOS, CMOS and see if it help, just make sure you change all the setting on your first boot. Look for any loose or not plug wires in the motherboard. What i would also do, is check that memory in another pc see if it's good.

This is imnportsnt advice. The CMOS stores the configuration. When you add memort, especially if it happens to be where the boot ROM loads itslef, if the CMOS is not in a state of grace, it won't load.

So short the CMOS pins, return the jumper to the correct position and when you boot, if there was no other problem, the CMOS will repopulate itself and it might work.

im having the same same problem, its also an emachine. ive tryed everything to no avail, some one plz help. black srceen.

Hi.
You have hijacked another thread, if what I tell you will not work, open a new thread with more information about your PC and problem, How long has been happening, when did it start....
Remove your memory chips (RAM) clean the contacts with a pencil eraser and replace and try. (Do not touch contact with your fingers.)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.