Hi All

I am new, so I will do my best to explain my situation. I am not sure if it is a Windows Issue or Spyware issue. Maybe someone will know?

I am running on a wireless network, no obvious network problems. Am also running NortonIS, SpybotS&D and Spyware Blaster.

Norton blocked a Trojan the other day. So I went into Norton to view what it had blocked and Norton then got hung up when I clicked to view the logs. I tried 'End Task', and no luck. I tried to shut down/restart and neither worked. Windows shut down my internet connection but was unable to complete shut down and never ended the program.

When I reboot, things look fine. I ran my spyware programs, and when I tried updating them, no luck. Those programs, too, were hanging. So, again tried shut down, no good. Again internet connection was shut down, but pc had to be forced.

When I try to End Tasks, two entries appear on the list for each program hanging. (Though only one had been open before trying to update). End Tasks do not work and my pc still won't shut down.

Also tried system restore.

I have tried booting in safe mode, installing MS AnitSpyware and Lavasofts Ad-Aware. Some things were detected (one thing detected in my _restore folder), so I removed them (according to program). Then booted normally, and tried again. Same issues present. IE works fine and my programs run normally except for when I try to update.

Tried system restore shut off as well and still no luck.

Any suggestions??? THANKS!

Chris

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Have you tried running an online virus scan like at http://housecall.trendmicro.com and or deinstalla and reinstall the antivirus and spyware and see if you can upgrade it. Or pull the drive and run spyware scan and antivirus on another computer.

I took your advice and ran housecall, found 19 low risk spyware(s), but everything else checked out. Have tried to uninstall/reinstall my spyware utilities. Still no luck. I am beginning to think it is an OS or network-related issue, because now, my computer won't shut down properly at all, even when I have not run one of the programs that initially caused this problem. I can click start, and shut down, but all that happens is my network connection is taken away, as if shut down begins. But then it stops. I can still see my desktop and I can still access non-internet programs, but laptop will not shut down.

I took your advice and ran housecall, found 19 low risk spyware(s), but everything else checked out. Have tried to uninstall/reinstall my spyware utilities. Still no luck. I am beginning to think it is an OS or network-related issue, because now, my computer won't shut down properly at all, even when I have not run one of the programs that initially caused this problem. I can click start, and shut down, but all that happens is my network connection is taken away, as if shut down begins. But then it stops. I can still see my desktop and I can still access non-internet programs, but laptop will not shut down.

Try uninstalling Norton and see what happens. I see more problems caused by the background processes that Norton puts in to place...I'd be willing to bet it's one of those doing it. If uninstalling it fixes it, great, try to reinstall it and go from there!

Cheers!
Soup

I had some toruble uninstalling NortonIS and Norton Password Manager at first, but finally got it uninstall after visiting Symantec. My computer is running almost as well as it did before I installed Norton last week. Cheers guys!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.