Hi,

I just moved into a new place and had to setup my computer again, going from using a cable connection to now a wireless cable connection. I'm using a friend's Access Point, so all I needed was an adapter for my Windows XP Service Pack 2 machine.

I first bought a Netgear Wireless-G USB Adapter. After using it a few times, it kept freezing my computer in about a half hour.

So I returned it and bought the Linksys Compact Wireless-G USB Adapter. That also kept freezing my computer after less than a half hour.

The freezing occurs only when I've plugged either adapters into my USB 2.0 slots. Is there any reason this is happening?

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

Somewhat obvious suggestions, but worth mentioning:

1. Simply uninstalling the software for those devices and reinstalling it from scratch will often clear up the freezing/hanging problem.

2. Wireless devices often have specific instructions regarding their installation. For example, the instructions for some NICs say to disable Windows' Wireless Zero configuration utility before installing, while others will tell you to install the NIC using Windows' Found New Hardware and Wireless Zero utilities. Additionally, some device's instructions say to install the software before connecting the device, but other's instruct that you install the device before the software. Follow your particular card's instructions carefully.

Pulse - you should tell us more about your computer (click start-->run-->msinfo32 then click "ok"): how much RAM (total physical memory + available), what kind of pc (system manufacturer/system model), BIOS version???

A freeze like that sounds like some aspect of your hardware's not working properly. If this is a Dell or other "big brand" you can go to their site and update the device drivers, BIOS and specifically chipset (if applicable). I've noticed lately that newer Intel chipsets need chipset/BIOS for USB (specifically) to operate correctly.

Okay, here are the specs:

WinXP Service Pack 2 Professional
AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3200+
2GHz, 1GB of RAM
Avail Physical Memory: 582MB
Not a brand name, it's made from a manufacturer that designs 3D gaming computers

I've been following the instructions and using the wireless connectivity through the adapter's software rather than use Windows' version. I'm going to reinstall it again and see what happens. Thanks.

I tried re-installing the software for the Linksys adapter, I even updated the driver. Unfotunately I'm still freezing. Could it have anything to do with other USB devices that I have hooked up to my machine? I only currently have a Wacom tablet, printer, external HD, and the occasional iPod installed in the USB ports and have about 3 more available.

1. Try using the wifi adapter with no other USB devices connected and see if that makes a difference.

2. Your event logs may have some clues in them. Open the Event Viewer utility in your Administrative Tools control panel and look through your System and Application logs for entries flagged with "Error" or "Warning". Double-clicking on such an entry will open a properties window with more detailed information on the error; post the details from a representative sample of some of the different error messages (please don't post duplicates or flood us with the entire logs).
To do so:
In the Properties window of a given entry, click on the button with the graphic of two pieces of paper on it; the button is at the right of the window just below the up arrow/down arrow buttons. You won't see anything happen when you click the button, but it will copy all of the details to the Windows clipboard. You can then paste the details into your next post here.

I've unplugged all the USB devices from my machine except for the WIFI adapter. I even moved it to a different part of the machine that has other USB 2.0 ports. And it still freezes my machine after awhile.

I'm going to take a look at the Event Viewer later on today. I'm also going to try to buy another wifi adapter that doesn't look like a plugin card, but one that has a cable and an antenna on it to see if that makes a difference.

Keep us posted on your progress...

Hi, been awhile but I think I solved the issue.

So I decided to exchange my Linksys Compact Wireless-G USB Adapter for a Linksys Wireless A/G USB Network Adapter. And it was running fine with no freezing, until it happened again a few days later.

So I had a technician examine my computer. It seems that the software for the Linksys adapter conflicted with Windows XP wireless configuration program, causing my computer to freeze. So we simply uninstalled the device and re-installed only the drivers without the software. Then we had WinXP configure my wireless connection. So far, it's been successful. I've been able to use the internet for hours on end with no freezing. And I'm able to leave my computer running without any freezes so far.

So hopefully this should solve my problem. Thanks guys for your help.

Glad you finally got it sorted out...

Hi, been awhile but I think I solved the issue.

So we simply uninstalled the device and re-installed only the drivers without the software. Then we had WinXP configure my wireless connection. So far, it's been successful. I've been able to use the internet for hours on end with no freezing. And I'm able to leave my computer running without any freezes so far.

Hi,

I have the same problem with an Olitec adapter. My problem is that the installation routine installs drivers and software at the same time without giving me a choice. Same for the uninstall routine: when I run it the configurations software is gone but so are the drivers. I would really welcome a suggestion.

Hi fld2000,

First of all- welcome to DaniWeb :)

As per our forum rules, members should not tag their questions on to a thread previously started by another member (regardless of how similar the problems may seem). Not only does it divert the focus of the thread away from the original poster's problem, but it also makes it less likely that you yourself will get the individual attention that you need.

Please start your own thread and post your question there. When you do, please try to give us as much specific info as possible regarding the problem (exact error messages, system specs, etc.).

For a full description of our posting guidelines and general rules of conduct, please read this page:

http://www.daniweb.com/techtalkforums/faq.php?faq=daniweb_policies

Thanks for understanding.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.