I've been having this issue (at two separate clients) where all of the volume labels for the network drives that a user is connecting to get renamed as "Disconnected Network Drive." The icon shows that the drive is connected, and if you can access files on the network drive with no problem. This has happened at both locations in the past week so it seems to me that a recent MS update may have triggered this. All of the workstations with this issue are running Windows XP SP2 and the file servers at both sites are Windows Server 2003 (pre SP1).

I haven't found any solutions (though similar issues) on either Google, or on the MS support site.

Has anyone else come across this issue, even if you haven't found a fix yet?

Thanks in advance,

Brandon

I've been having this issue (at two separate clients) where all of the volume labels for the network drives that a user is connecting to get renamed as "Disconnected Network Drive." The icon shows that the drive is connected, and if you can access files on the network drive with no problem. This has happened at both locations in the past week so it seems to me that a recent MS update may have triggered this. All of the workstations with this issue are running Windows XP SP2 and the file servers at both sites are Windows Server 2003 (pre SP1).

I haven't found any solutions (though similar issues) on either Google, or on the MS support site.

Has anyone else come across this issue, even if you haven't found a fix yet?

Thanks in advance,

Brandon

I had the same problem just today. i searched but no one had the answer. After i messed around with it for a while (and slammed my head on the desk a couple of times), I found something that worked for me. I disabled the Workstation service so it wouldn't start up on login. then rebooted (if you doing this remotely you won't be able to connect until turning back on the workstation service). After the reboot i logged back in and low and behold the blasted drives were gone!! :cheesy:

Good luck and hope it works for you.

We have the same issue on both workstations and Windows 2003 SP1 Terminal Servers, will try out the diabling workstation fix

Did this work for you guys?

I assume you had to reenable the Workstation Service after it was done.

I found a way to get rid of thsoe drives by using RegEdit at:

HKCU/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Explorer/MountPoints2

And deleting all the keys (Note keys, not Values) that have ## infront of them.

Explorer will now show (seemingly random) drivers at those points, but you can Disconnect them.

I'm just wondering if this is a longterm fix?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.