Hi, I had to change my mother board and now for some reason when I open mt CP add and remove programs only three or four programs appear, all other programs I have don't appear.

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

How does the mother board affect what is on your hard drive? Thats a new one to me...

How does the mother board affect what is on your hard drive? Thats a new one to me...

Yes, you are right, I only stated something that happened, I didn'T chek the options in the control panel, so I only saw 4 programs. Thanks anyway.

This behavior occurs if a program's DisplayName or uninstall key name is longer than 63 characters.
Important This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry.
To resolve this issue:

1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.
2. Locate the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall
3. Click the folder of the program that has more than 63 characters in the title, right-click DisplayName, and then click Modify.
4. In the Value data box, type a name with less than 63 characters, and then click OK.
5. If the program's uninstall key name is longer than 63 characters, shorten it also. For example, the following key name is too long:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\
6. Quit Registry Editor.

after you swap mobo's you have to run a repair on the OS...
more here

I did that but now I have another proble. When I restart my pc I have to restart many times because it frezzes, until finaly the hard drive lights and sistem starts. I have 2 hd's and a dual boot sstem with windows Xp and windows 7

Update all your drivers, now. And probably reinstall some software applications because some registry entries they used may have been altered in the Repair. And then download all the Security Updates again.
Windows Repairs suck.
Security updates.... such an annoyance if you simply use the Windows update program and then have to do a Repair. You can, of course, note the numbers of the updates, download the .exes, apply them and KEEP the original exe files in a folder. One wet day, you slipstream them with nlite.

Updates Windows and scan virus on your computer, I don't think it is a hardware problem.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.