hello can you help me please i have 2 operating system in 1 pc dual booth...how can i uninstall one operating system...hoping for your positive responds...thank you in advance...

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Hello, jemz, just load the OS you wish to keep, delete the files or the partition of the other OS, then modify your boot.ini to reflect the change. Let's say you decide to keep XP: rclick MyComputer > Properties > Advanced tab, Startup n Recovery Settings, press Edit. Make it something like this:
[boot loader]
timeout=4
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP-SP3 Home Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

Press Ctrl-S.
Done.

Member Avatar for rnyamonga

Hey gerbil,
i also have the same problem and i tried doing that but with Windows you can't delete any installation file!
What can i do next? hope am not hijacking this thread :)

Thanks

nyamo, you should be able to delete any file belonging to the other installation... to the running OS they are just any old file or folder. Delete Windows\ and Docs and Setts\ [you might wish to copy stuff out of the unwanted folders first].

Hello, jemz, just load the OS you wish to keep, delete the files or the partition of the other OS, then modify your boot.ini to reflect the change. Let's say you decide to keep XP: rclick MyComputer > Properties > Advanced tab, Startup n Recovery Settings, press Edit. Make it something like this:
[boot loader]
timeout=4
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP-SP3 Home Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

Press Ctrl-S.
Done.

hello sir thank you for the reply...i will try this sir and i will write again if i have doubt...more power to you...thank you again...

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.