I am looking into buying a registry cleaner, but I am not sure which is best, and the free trials don't really prove anything to me. So anyone who has bought a registry cleaner software could give me some info i would appreciate it.

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

Registry cleaners are a rip off IMHO. What problem are you trying to fix by running a registry cleaner? If it’s simply to improve system performance or reliability than you probably will not see much of a difference.

i just thought it would help my computer out, it is in need of some work, I cannot perform scan disk because something is writing to my harddrive, i cannot perform disk defrag cuz there are errors on my hardrive. I have tried running scan disk in safe mode, and then restarting in regular windows and running scan disk again and it still says something is writting to hard drive, i have no viruses and have tried alot of things, i just figured a registry cleaner was the answer to my problems

What OS are you running? 98?

I am currently running Windows ME on my pc, but I will be upgrading to XP before I intall MX Studio, on mac i run os 10

I would recommend doing a clean install when you make the move to XP. In the meantime, if you cannot run scandisk or defrag in windows you might want to try booting into safemode and try running them there.

In the meantime, if you cannot run scandisk or defrag in windows you might want to try booting into safemode and try running them there.

I have already done this before, after I have done both in safe mode i reboot to normal mode, and run scandisk, it stills gives me the scan disk has restarted 10 times, something is writing to your hard drive message, and I become stuck at square one.

You are having problems because obviously you have something loaded at startup which is running in the background. Until you determine what it is and correct the behaviour, of course it will return once you boot as normal.

I'd suggest you submit a HijackThis log to our 'Viruses, Spyware and other Nasties' section for attention, after you've read the pinned topics in that section and followed the instructions in them in an effort to clean your system of unwanted intruders.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.