My windows vista has been unable to completean update and going round 3 0f 3 % completed. the system keep rebooting itself.please help

My windows vista has been unable to completean update and going round 3 0f 3 % completed. the system keep rebooting itself.please help

You may not like this. you will find that it keeps hanging on the same update. I will give you the quick version. If you need the longer explanation, then I will try to help you. I will tell you what to do, If I do not get back in a timely manner, you will be able to google for all of the proceedures on the net already.

this is the first thing to try:

Some of the updates released on February 12, 2008, as a part of the Microsoft monthly patch cycle, have managed to effectively kill Windows Vista. Users are reporting that, following the introduction of the February 12 updates, Vista gets stuck at the finalization of the deployment of the updates displaying the message "Configuring Updates Stage 3 of 3 0% completes" and then entering an infinite reboot loop. And there is absolutely no way out for the end users, because canceling the configuration process of the updates is a move equivalent to losing access to the operating system entirely. This will even happen in Safe Mode.

Microsoft has yet to officially respond to the issue, or to provide a resolve or at least a workaround. However, it does seem at this point that there is an issue with the deployment of the pre-requisite updates necessary for the smooth installation of Windows Vista SP1. Namely, the problem resides in the Vista installation software. The fact of the matter is that end users will have to first update the Vista installation software and only then deploy the remaining February 12 updates and only at the end Vista SP1 RTM.

If you are stuck watching the "Configuring Updates Stage 3 of 3 0% complete Do not turn off Computer" and in the endless reboot loop, then stop the cycle and boot from the Vista media. You will need to "Repair your computer," so select your Vista installation and restore it to a point before the deployment of the updates. After gaining back access to your operating system, you will have to install the service stack update, namely Update for Windows Vista (KB937287). Deploy this update before any other on your Vista, and only then install the rest. At this point in time, you should experience no more problems.

"Update 937287 is a prerequisite package that contains updates to the Windows Vista installation software. The installation software is the component that handles the installation and the removal of software updates, language packs, optional Windows features, and service packs. Update 937287 is necessary to successfully install and to remove Windows Vista SP1 on all versions of Windows Vista,"

If that doesn't do it for you:
Go to this link and learn some stuff

the first part of that entry might be all you need:

You will probably eventually have to turn it off manually.

Read this hyperlink:

Understanding Windows Update and Extras in Windows Vista at above link.

Remove Vista Updates; two ways to do this:

1. Do a System Restore to before the Updates:

Click Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore > Put it back in time/pick your own date > Next

If using Norton, disable it before using System restore.

If unable to get into Normal Mode, do a System Restore in Safe Mode:

Tap F8 at Startup/power on, and from list of Startup options, select Safe mode by using the UP Arrow Key> then hit ENTER.

Do the System restore steps as per info above.

Also:

2. Click Start > Right-click Computer > Properties > Windows Updates down the bottom left corner > Installed Updates in bottom left corner in next window

> then click which one you do not want > Uninstall will appear at the top > Uninstall it.

Also, on the page where you clicked on "Installed Updates" Click on Change Settings up the top left corner there

> Change Update Settings in next page from Auto Update to "Check for updates but let me choose etc"> OK

When you look in the list of waiting Updates, you can either download/install them one at a time, to find out the Update that is causing you problems.

> or if you do not need a particular one> Right-click on it> UAC Prompt > Hide It

commented: great answer i wish you were tech support when and if i ever called in lol +3
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.