My computer freezes up whenever I try to view the contents of any DVD-R disks. They used to work fine a few months ago. Normal DVDs work. I don't know what's changed since then. I did install Alchohol 120% but removed it because I never used it, I don't know if it has anything to do with that. I'm running Windows XP. The DVD drive is a generic one which came with my PC. System information only identifies it as ATAPI DVD-ROM 16XMax.

Cheers for any help

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

whats alcohol 120%, plus are you aware there are two kinds of DVDR's [DVD-R & DVD+R] that might have something to do with it

Might be alcohol 120%, had it do similar stuff to me when I uninstalled. Look in the registry for the following:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Alcohol Soft\Alcohol 120%\Basic
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Alcohol Soft\Alcohol 120%\Devices
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Alcohol Soft\Alcohol 120%\ImageMaker
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Alcohol Soft\Alcohol 120%\Images
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Alcohol Soft\Alcohol 120%\Option
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Alcohol Soft\Alcohol 120%\RecordWizard
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Alcohol Soft\Alcohol 120%

Delete all these entries (if exist). Also look for the install folder for Alcohol, and delete it in full. Try installing Nero 6 and see if you can read. If you already have it, uninstall it, follow these steps, and reinstall. Seems that Alcohol modify's some .dll file and Nero de-modify's (word?). Hope this helps.

Alcohol is burning software that allows you to burn copy-protected CD's. Handy for making backups of $600 pieces of software that you don't want to have the original install media damaged. Newer version works rather well, I might ad.

Thanks. I just reinstalled Nero and I get get my files again. :P

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.