Ok, So I'm not looking for a fix to be posted here by someone necessarily, but I am looking for information,... reliable information. I have an xbox 360 (2nd generation or later, I'm pretty sure) which just this morning gave me the (3) red ring of death (there are various red rings of death by the numbers of red lights you get on your four part ring on the power button) as my poor son was watching 'Monsters, Inc' on Netflix.

I've been surfing YouTube and various sites that claim THEY have the fix-it for this problem. I'm sure they're fine (most anyway), but they all cost something, ranging from $13 - $40.

My xbox 360 was purchased at a discount from Circuit City in it's dying days when it was going out of business, so there was no warranty and it is past standard manufacturer warranty to my knowledge.

So my question basically is this: Has anyone had this problem and attempted to solve it themselves? If so, what method, or where did you turn to for a *reliable fix* that got you up and playing? there are some great videos on YouTube and I'm not afraid to open the machine to void a warranty I don't have.. just heating up the motherboard on purpose, wrapping the machine in a towel, and other things seems a bit odd.. suggestions?? Thanks!

BTW, I realize this is not a Windows issue, but it is Microsoft, so I thought I would try my luck and give an interesting challenge to the IT community here for brainstorming.

well, it was worth a shot. thought someone would be interested in opening up an xbox 360 machine and doing some work on it. thanks.

well, it was worth a shot. thought someone would be interested in opening up an xbox 360 machine and doing some work on it. thanks.

Sorry - I never saw this thread.

A guy who owns one of the support sites I used to moderate does this. You could send it to him or give it a go yourself. I'd save the cash and go the DIY way:

http://www.iamnotageek.com/opening_xbox.php

http://www.iamnotageek.com/fix_rrod.php

Yeah, yeah... I know the links are off site, but I think the statute of limitations have expired for this thread....

Best Luck :)
PP

hey awesome, i appreciate that. I'll go ahead and take a look at them. i copied the links anyway. ;-)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.