anbrx 0 Newbie Poster

"scheduled events"(mstask) - Where they are stored

I have searched EVERYWHERE, but NOONE(and I really MEAN - NO ONE) seem to have noticed what I have - that scheduled events doesn't show up ANYWHERE in the registry, or in ANY of the files in the C: drive! I have run "Advanced Registry Tracer", and it finds squat. I have recorded what files are changed, by comparing date/time stamps and sizes, I have done string searches with Total Commander in EVERY SINGLE FILE in C: but come up with NOTHING.

Finally, in desperation(I mean, it HAD to be SOMEWHERE: maybe encrypted?), I took out the Filemon tool from SysInternals(now Winternals - s.o.b. :), and Boy, is that a Catcher in the rye :)

You know what I found? Well, first of all, scheduled events are stored in the C:\WINDOWS\Tasks\ folder,
but the B*A*S*T*A*R*D Windows 98 DOESN'T LIST THAT FOLDER with this command:
dir c:\ /a-d/o-d/s > c:\dir1.txt

There is obviously some folder attribute that prevents it from being scanned with the /s parameter, because if you MOVE INTO the folder, the files show up OK. (And yes, I have just tried it in Windows Server 2003, and there the /s works just fine...)

But you know what else I found? Well, remember I did string searches with Total Commander? I looked in ALL files (*) for the PROGRAM run by the task? Turns out I SHOULD have looked for A FILE with the NAME of the TASK(the file type is .job).

But still, even if the file is binary(and it is), the program HAS to be in there, right? So why didn't Total Commander find it?

Are you ready for this? Because it's in UNICODE!!! I mean, I have long since known that RegEdit stores .reg files in Unicode beginning with XP, but I have ALWAYS heard that Windows 98 LACKED SUPPORT for Unicode! Well, apparantly not mstask(*Sigh*)

I hereby give you this info, as a way of thanking all you guys on the web that have helped me so many, many times...

Enjoy!