Hello,
I am having trouble with my laptop connecting to the wireless internet at home. Recently, a new internet router was installed and since then, I've been having trouble connecting to the internet wirelessly (not just at home).

It connects to the network, but then says that I only have "Local" access. However, if I connect my laptop to the router using the ethernet cable that was provided, my internet works perfectly fine!

The strange thing is, my 2 housemates who use Windows XP and Windows 7 can both connect to the internet wirelessly perfectly fine! My iPhone can also connect to the internet wirelessly without a problem.

I would appreciate any help you can give me.

Thank you.

This is a known problem with Vista and is due to your new router. The fix requires a small registry change as outlined on the Microsoft Support site at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928233

I beat my head against the wall for a long time on this until I found the above article. Absolutely no problem after making the change shown.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.