Hey everyone! Users of Microsoft Security Essentials know that the right-click menu item that says "Scan with Microsoft Security Essentials.." is just too long. How do I customize it?

I figured out that the file shellext.dll that comes with MSE is responsible for the context menu. I opened it with Resource Hacker and changed the string to "Scan with MSE" and saved it. Once I restarted, it hasn't changed:-O

Any ideas?

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

that the right-click menu item that says "Scan with Microsoft Security Essentials.." is just too long.

wow and i thought i had a nasty problem ,lol,with most of my downloads and updates being corrupt because of some conflict with my router and nic card ,im assuming anyway.

wow and they've made you an mvp around this place.

wow and they've made you an mvp around this place.

nah i call myself that .lol

a few searches of google show some regedit fixes for similar problems ,maybe the long name can be edited in the registry

A solution was posted on superuser.com in the thread
Editing the Microsoft Security essentials context menu.

It turns out that for the en-us version the following file must be edited with a resource editor.

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Security Client\en-us\shellext.dll.mui"

I edited the dutch .mui file on a WXP SP3 system, succesfully.

MUI is Microsoft's Multilingual User Interface technology.

commented: Stop posting in old thread -2
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.