Help! This problem have been annoying me for a very long time.
This is about backup files.

This is a scenario which annoy me when I backup:

I have a usb harddisk , let call it G:\
and I have a local harddisk, D:\

assume G:\myplace and D:\myplace should me storing the same folders and files.

The very first day, I copy everything from G:\myplace to D:\myplace, it is fine.

A few days later, I thought the D:\ is very messy, so I have delete/move many files, let say: I move a folder name "BBQ-20101121" to a new folder called "Family" because the bbq is family activity.

Then after a few months, I want to backup the data.
And then I found out that, there are a folder in G:\myplace,
but the new location should be G:\myplace\Family!

Can you see the problem?

Another example, during the days before the 2nd backup, I deleted a music album called "Country", but this folder exist in my usb harddisk! Now I have to manually go to G:\ and delete "Country" folder!

Can anyone suggest a solution?

Contributors
Replies
Views
7 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by Reverend Jim

Try DriveImage XML. If your G drive is bigger than your D drive then it will image your drive saving you time re-installing apps, and you get to keep the folder hierarchy, too.

bump......but I actually have 2 drive C: and D: which have things inside, they are in 1 physical drive

I use robocopy.exe (command line tool free from Microsoft). I do a weekly backup from my D drive to a folder on an external T drive. The command I use is

robocopy d:\ t:\ddrive /e /r:0 /purge

the first two parameters are the source and destination folders.

/e copies all sub-folders
/r:0 do not retry on error
/purge delete any files in the destination folder that are not in the source folder

You will get an error if you try to copy certain system files/folders like system volume information (which you don't need to back up). The /purge ensures that if you have deleted a file from the source drive then it will also be deleted on the destination drive. There are a ton of other options as well. This particular form of the command will not copy unchanged files so the more often you run it the faster it will run.

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.