The server crashed and I have tried everything I can think of and read everything I can find for the last 2 days....this is what I get when I try to open phpmyadmin...

Protocol error: Unknown command type, closing connection

I don't know how to fix this... I have tried to reinstall it... looked at the all config files... but I can't get this to work..suggestions Please!!

Thanks

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Hi cowboysdude

Do you have other scripts that are connecting to your database, and if so, are they still working as expected?

Are you able to connect to your database directly from the command line?

I am mentioning the above as if your PHPMyAdmin installations seems fine then perhaps the issue is with the database itself e.g. a corruption due to the server crash. Is there another database you can attempt to connect to with your PHPMyAdmin installation?

Hi cowboysdude

Do you have other scripts that are connecting to your database, and if so, are they still working as expected?

Are you able to connect to your database directly from the command line?

I am mentioning the above as if your PHPMyAdmin installations seems fine then perhaps the issue is with the database itself e.g. a corruption due to the server crash. Is there another database you can attempt to connect to with your PHPMyAdmin installation?

I can connect to the database via command line. The website is running fine so that has to be connecting to mysql or the site wouldn't work.

That's why I'm confused about phpmyadmin not working. It's acting like the connection request if being refused. I have the username and password set in the config file.

Thank you for your help! I do appreciate it.

Have you recently upgraded your MySQL version from 4.0? Later versions of MySQL use a different password hashing algorithm which may cause problems. If this is the case then you could try resetting your MySQL password to a pre-4.1 format. More details available at http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/old-client.html

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.