Good day!

Ive got a Dell Latitude Laptop C600 for repair preferably reformatting the OS due to viruses..Now the problem is, the BIOS for this model doesn't support booting from any usb external drive or Flash Disk..

Luckily I've got a connector for connecting laptop HDD to desktop.. Now i want to reformat the HDD and create 2 partitions, let say LocalDisk(C), LocalDisk(D), and then I want to store the XP bootable setup in drive LocalDisk(D) so that when the laptop starts the XP setup will boot so that i can install XP on drive C.

So far this is the best solution for me. But i dont know how to work on this.Pls help guys..

Thank you.!Any other solution is highly appreciated......

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

No CD/DVD drive on the laptop to boot from it?

Well you may try this:
1) Connect the HDD to/in your working desktop system.

2) Format the drive.

3) insert your windows cd in the drive, and exit when it pops up asking what you want to do.

4) Go to "My Computer" and look at the drive letters of the CD-rom containing the XP disk, and also the drive letter of the hard drive you are installing to.

5) Assuming the hard drive is "D" and the XP cd is in "E:", go to the run command and type (or cut and paste):

E:\I386\winnt32.exe /syspart:D: /tempdrive:D: /makelocalsource /noreboot

6) setup will begin and ask you if you want to upgrade or full install, make sure it is FULL INSTALL. It will then ask you for a few more things including the CD key.

7) When it goes back to your desktop, turn off your PC and remove the external hard drive. It is now ready for install in the new system. It will simply continue to install windows from this point.

8)boot up the hard drive on your laptop

Hope this helps, as I tried it once and was successful, but has instead connected the HDD as slave drive in my computer instead of USB connector used, then plugged back to another pc to finish install and used

Change the smileys above to : D but no spacing between them

thank you lordrt. Il try your solution today...But few more things, is this the right command to do in the command prompt?

copy E:\I386\winnt32.exe /syspart D:/tempdrive: D/makelocalsource/noreboot

thank you!

hi blocker, just use the code here, you missed the : before the D for the first part, see code below and use it

E:\I386\winnt32.exe /syspart:D: /tempdrive:D: /makelocalsource /noreboot

Im sorry for late reply of this post..We are having big internet changes in the area..
I would like to say thank you to lordrt for the superb solution. Just follow the instruction and Im sure it should also work to all of you guys..

thank you.God bless!

glad could help u

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.